Dx7 programming

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Dx7 programming

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:14 pm

beings as you're already familiar with and like the device itself (so I can't suggest a knobby midi controller and software) what about a touchosc template for ipad?
http://wifimidi.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:28 pm

Thanks for that. A hardware controller would indeed be very useful, but I can't afford much at the moment, and I really don't want to buy anything Apple on ethical grounds and also because I really don't like the company and don't trust them.

I do appreciate the suggestion, though. In theory I think it should be possible to design something that would access DX7 parameters and assign them to a MIDI synth like the Moog Voyager. That would be interesting. I assigned the Moog's knobs to parameters in FM8 with some very worthwhile results.
Free the Jupiter 8!

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:32 pm

choice is yours. my opinion on the value of ipad is documented....

contrarily - anything that will all you to assign a sysex message to a control surface will let you edit the params of the dx7. plenty of things that do that.

wildpaws
Gear: DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, etc.

Post by wildpaws » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:55 am

I know on the DX7II series there were some patches done where you could change the frequency ratios from the data slider while playing, they were Hammond type sounds, but I know you could do the same on other sounds as well. That is the way those patches were set up, you did not have to do it from the edit mode.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.