Broken Yamaha DX7II-D Video

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
JHatzia

Broken Yamaha DX7II-D Video

Post by JHatzia » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:27 am

Well, I just came home to test this guy and decided it'd be much easier to make a video to display the problems.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by JHatzia on Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Esus

Re: Broken Yamaha DX7II-D Video

Post by Esus » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:55 am

You might also try the Yahoo! DX7 user group:

YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:23 pm

This sounds like a classic case of needing the internal battery replaced. It's the size of a watch battery and holds the memories of the presets etc. When the internal battery goes, the synth goes all wonky, like yours did. Ask the person you got this from if that was ever done.

Here's a youtube video showing the process on a DX7

If this is the problem, the fix ix less than $10.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Well I went in and replaced the internal battery. Turns out this is a E! Grey Matter equipped DX7II-D, and it's running verison 1.20.. But still, exact same problem, the LCD screen is all wonky showing Japanese characters and unusual text, and most the buttons seem to not recall any patches

wildpaws
Gear: DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, etc.

Post by wildpaws » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:53 am

Did you do a factory reset? The DX7II requires a factory reset after battery change (as do many synths), your symptoms describe needing a reset.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:49 am

No, I tried to do research on how to do this and there doesn't seem to be specific directions for factory reseting a DX7II-D. Do you know the method for doing this? I appreciate the response.

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:39 am

UPDATE: Since changing the battery, and doing a "factory reset" on the DX7IID all the buttons now work and the synth works great as a MIDI controller. However, it still does not produce sounds. I believe this is because once changing the battery all the patches are lost. I have done a fair bit of research on how to restore these sounds and it looks like you can do it via cartridge or USB to MIDI. The problem is, there is very little info on the net about the DX7IID and how to send the original factory presets to it. I have found a ton of info on how to do this to a normal DX7 thought.

Any help would be seriously appreciated guys, I'm so close to fixing this guy to be fully functional.

Also, since there is a E! expansion board on my DX7IID, does anyone know how to update its firmware?

Esus

Post by Esus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:20 pm

If you're still having problems, there's a good thread going on the Yahoo DX7 Group with a guy who seems to have very similar issues. He has a DX7II as well. The thread is labeled:

DX7II with E! card. Help on reloading / reset synth after battery replacement

Good Luck

DX21
Gear: Yamaha DX21
Kawai K3
Band: AHHHH!?!!?

Post by DX21 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:03 pm

The ram stays in one state of corruption when you add a working battery, therefore you gotta Flush the ram with new data with either Rom Carts or You can reload stuff over Midi by Midi OX

Here's the stock DX7 carts I have:
http://www.mediafire.com/?y70brqv7eh2k6yu
Here's the program
http://www.midiox.com/zip/midioxse.exe

Open MOX and go to options > Midi devices, select your midi in and outs, then go to file associations, select sysex,restart MOX then click a set of my banks and it'll pull a bunch of hexidecimal up. Just click command window and "send sysex".

There's a bunch of cool features too, like the ability to select a patch via your computer screen from your PC Via View > Control panel

The Greymatter card uses UVPROMS (the brown ceramic toshiba or other brand chips with stickers) for its firmware which means that you'd need a copy of newer software, a chip eraser light box and a Rom Burner to do any sort of upgrade.
~Playin' Those Big Fluffy Pads at the Crack o' Dawn~
Yamaha DX7 > Yamaha SY77 > Kawai K3 > PC via Roland UM-ONE Rev 1.

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:06 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. This project has been put on the back burner for me until recently. I have tried sending my e! equipped (ver 1.20) sysex info via USB>MIDI before and can't seem to get it to dump correctly on the synth. My problem is I just cannot find any directions specifically for an e! equipped DX7IID to receive these messages through MIDIOx. I know I have to prep the DX7IID to properly receive these messages. I would just like to load on all the original factory presets this DX7 comes with, and work from there learning how to program it once it is up and running.

Currently almost every patch appears as this and is extremely difficult to navigate with no sound coming out of it at all.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:34 am

Too bad you don't have a DX7IIFD w/E!. I could only reset mine properly by loading all the factory data from a copy of the original E! floppy disk (which is available on the net)...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:50 am

I've been researching all day and have made some progress. I managed to successfully transfer patches to the DX7 after turning the memory protection off, all the patches are there yet I still cannot hear them (event with the total volume at 99) From time to time it makes this strange random sound, seen in the attached YouTube video. While it definitely received the patches it still is difficult to navigate around, a lot of patches still look like a garbled mess and every time I turn the DX7 off it essentially resets and memory protect is back on, patches are garbled again, etc. Just to clarify this is a DX7IID with a E! board AND floppy disk drive added on. However I don't have any cartridges or a floppy disk drive to burn data on a floppy. I'm getting very close to fixing it though, I can feel it.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:22 pm

All you need is access to a PC with a floppy drive. You can then download the disk image and make the factory E! disk you can load into the synth. There's no other way I found to reset all the various settings to make it usable...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:50 pm

If there's any corrupted patches left in any of the banks, it will do strange stuff. I find it most easy to just initialize everything. That's the procedure you guys are looking for I guess... (Will wipe your patches, but you can reload them easily.)

I only have a DX7 MK1 with E!, but the procedure is (IIRC):

Hit "function", then "operator select" twice to go to the memory menu.

Then hit "31" twice to go to the internal memory protection, turn it off with the "+ / -" buttons.

Then there are three things to initialize (don't remember what it all was), you access all three via "19" in the memory menu. So, hit "19", then twice "+", then "19" again and twice "+" and a final time "19" and twice "+".

Maybe that helps, not entirely sure whether it's the same on the II-D... If everything goes as expected, you should have initial patches on all banks - and they should sound (just a sine).

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:32 pm

I'm trying to find access to a floppy disk drive in the meantime but pflosi I tried your instruction and can only manage to turn off the memory protect. When I hit "edit" (I'm assuming that's what function is because there is no specific function button on the DX7IID) it won't do anything if I hit any of the operator selects or buttons 19, pretty much only buttons 7-16 and 23-32 actually do anything in edit mode.

EDIT: So it actually does retain the patches sent to it afterwards, that was my mistake. It just has a lot of jumbled banks and what not, I'm feeling confident if I figure a way to clear the internal memory of the DX7 and E! board and then transfer it patches I would have better luck. The only thing is, when I try to initialize a patch I can't hear a sine or anything. The only sound I have gotten the synth to make is what you hear in the last video I posted. It does however work as a great MIDI controller for my DAWs.