Broken Yamaha DX7II-D Video

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Broken Yamaha DX7II-D Video

Post by pflosi » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:29 am

Ok, strange... The three reset functions I was referring to are called "erase patch map", "erase phys pres" and "erase bank [x]". If that's any help... Also, looking that up on the MK1 I just remembered: you have to do it on all banks. There's gotta be an E! manual for the II-D...

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:45 am

pflosi wrote:Ok, strange... The three reset functions I was referring to are called "erase patch map", "erase phys pres" and "erase bank [x]". If that's any help... Also, looking that up on the MK1 I just remembered: you have to do it on all banks. There's gotta be an E! manual for the II-D...
http://www.maths.abdn.ac.uk/~bensondj/d ... manual.zip - I've downloaded mine from this site some time ago.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:11 pm

Any way you could upload it else where and PM me a copy? I am "Forbidden" from accessing that link you sent adamstan.

DX21
Gear: Yamaha DX21
Kawai K3
Band: AHHHH!?!!?

Post by DX21 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:04 pm

~Playin' Those Big Fluffy Pads at the Crack o' Dawn~
Yamaha DX7 > Yamaha SY77 > Kawai K3 > PC via Roland UM-ONE Rev 1.

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:42 pm

Happy to report I finally fixed my DX7 last night. Turned out just one wire was soldered to pin 21 instead of 20 on an IC as part of the E! Upgrade. After I corrected this I successfully transferred all the factory E! patches, buf and int sysex files to the unit. Now I have an amazing DX7IID E! This thing is nuts!

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:55 pm

Errg, scratch that. It looks like the patches didn't save over night. SO I was successfully transferring a bunch of files via MIDI, it just appears that nothing saved after it being powered off..

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:51 am

Exact same as mine... It's the battery. Ignore how many V are displayed (in that "check" you can do from the front panel) and just exchange it.

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:25 pm

pflosi wrote:It's the battery. [...] just exchange it.
And while you're at it, install a battery clip holder. Saves you soldering the next time.
I did that with my DX21, and will do it with my DX7IID once the old battery is dead.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:25 pm

I installed a new battery and clip holder two years ago, but when I tried to read it I was getting little to nothing. The clip holder I ordered did not fit into the sockets so it just two wires for the + and - and is hanging on its own. I'd like to redo this procedure with a proper battery and holder clip. Anything links would be appreciated. I may just check out Syntaur's site if they have these items. So happy to be soo close to making this a fully functional synth! I was playing a PPG wave patch on it that sounded amazing!

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:50 pm

Update: Installed the clip and battery. Powered up the unit and sent it Performance INT and BUF, as well as ERAM 1, 2 and 3 for the E! card as well as 5 or so E Banks of patches. The problem is this time it seems that I successfully transferred MIDI data but for whatever reason I can't scroll through the presets or different banks this time and no sound is coming out. What did I do wrong?

Good news is it seems that some patches were sent to the unit, and after turning the unit on again after a nights rest, the patches remain, so it looks like the battery is doing its job (also verified 3.33V with a multimeter)

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:53 am

Turns out that I had "Local" set to off, which should be on. All original E! patches have been sent to the unit and stay on the unit after a few days of testing. After nearly two years, I finally fixed this synth. Thank you everyone for all your help!

Case closed.

Baticuevo

Post by Baticuevo » Thu May 30, 2019 4:09 am

I need your help, seriously. Today I buy a DX7 IIFD AND I HAVE the same issue. The patches don’t save, the synth only sounds with bleeps and bells. The battery still without change, but i need help to make usable the synth, I need instructions to reset and change the battery. There is no much info about the Grey Matter E!