Recieved broken synth in the mail, what to do???

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Re: Recieved broken synth in the mail, what to do???

Post by themilford » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:41 am

Everybody selling synths on eBay should be REQUIRED to watch this video.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:49 pm

i dont think ebays gonna budge on their policies.
sellers often underpack stuff so it can fit within the maximum size for cost-effective shipping. and it results in damage. :(
if the shipping price seems too good to be true, it usually is.
keep us posted.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:26 am

A couple of observations. First, the seller's feedback is phenomenal. So I doubt that he's just a bad seller. The damage was probably due to the rough handling. Second, the seller did charge $150 for shipping on this item, which should have been more than enough for him to take the time and effort to pack it properly. Shame on him if he didn't.

The lesson I would take from this is to never, ever order anything from Eastern Europe that's either expensive or delicate. The postal systems in that part of the world are notoriously horrible, and if you get something that's broken, it's cost-prohibitive to send it back (as you found out already).

True, eBay and PayPal have good buyer-protection policies, but you're not going to be made "whole" again, if you use them -- at least not in this situation, when you have to send a heavy-a*s piece of equipment back to Ukraine.

By the way, nothing personal against Ukraine or its fine people. I've actually been there and I liked the place. But shipping to or from there? Um...no.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:54 am

I guess you missed it but the buyer already said how it was packed which was clearly inadequate. I would agree it was probably a bad idea to buy a synth from some place like that though.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

STRING_MACHINES
Gear: Elektronika EM - 25, Moog Micromoog, Ensoniq SQ-80

Post by STRING_MACHINES » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:44 am

synthparts wrote:I guess you missed it but the buyer already said how it was packed which was clearly inadequate. I would agree it was probably a bad idea to buy a synth from some place like that though.

yea i know.... Thing is this synth is perfect for me!. The worst part is that NONE are for sale in the U.S!. They all come from UKRAINE.

I escalated the problem with ebay and they should contact me soon. Im also going to contact the postal office.

STRING_MACHINES

Post by STRING_MACHINES » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:47 am

themilford wrote:This s**t just burns me up.

f**k assholes that don't know how to properly pack... then the lack of realistic options and the process of everybody passing the buck.

I've gone though though a simlar thing. Here's what I recommend:

Take TONS of clear pictures that illustrate the extent of the damage... if you can, use things like depth and perspective to really show off how the bits are busted up. Post all of those pictured here. Also, send those pictures to the seller and if you can to eBay/Paypal.

Get on the phone with eBay and really stand your ground about this. Make it clear that you will not pay return shipping as you paid for a synth in fine condition and this is clearly negligence and ineptitude on the seller's part. Make sure to grab the original photos from the original listing for reference... you may need to use them for comparison.

Continue to make it clear than the seller should refund you your money and take care of the shipping back if he wants it... He might not... he may agree to a partial refund. In my case I got estimates for the repairs and was able to get UPS to pay up. I made such a stink and made it clear that I was exposing the exchange on a public forum. In my case the seller was on my side and was also pissed that UPS damaged the synth... he gave UPS s**t on his end as well. Maybe you can get the seller on your side... that is if it seems it might be an only option. He probably believes his packing job was sufficient and might argue in your favor as such... I dunno.

Don't let any of these people deflect responsibility. Hold them all accountable and stand your ground. Expose them publicly. It might be the only leverage you have.

Can I ask, how much was the synth itself? Would you mind linking the finished auction here?

We're on your side... Good luck.
Thanks!, yea im going to do exactly that. Im going to stand my ground and fight for this.

The synth was $550 shipped!!.

HERES THE LISTING

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261111446401?ss ... 1497.l2649

STRING_MACHINES

Post by STRING_MACHINES » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:49 am

I had this same keyboard but it went out on me, so i went out for another one and this is what i get!!!!! :cry: :evil: :x

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:20 am

Is it that much different than any commonly available string synths like ARP Omnis, Roland RS-09/101/202, Moog Opus-3, Yamaha SK-20/30/50D, or various Crumars?
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

STRING_MACHINES

Post by STRING_MACHINES » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:40 pm

so..... heres a update.

basically ebay said that if i cant ship it (which i cant because usps said package was too big and ups and fedex quoted me around $800!. That i have to ask the seller for a partial refund and offered me to give me his phone number, wtf?? i told them im los angeles, california how the f**k am i going to make a call to ukraine?!!!!!. so they said only thing i can do is contact the seller. he only offered a $100 refund!!!!. thats all i can get out of this, oh well.

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.

Post by themilford » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:01 pm

STRING_MACHINES wrote:so..... heres a update.

basically ebay said that if i cant ship it (which i cant because usps said package was too big and ups and fedex quoted me around $800!. That i have to ask the seller for a partial refund and offered me to give me his phone number, wtf?? i told them im los angeles, california how the f**k am i going to make a call to ukraine?!!!!!. so they said only thing i can do is contact the seller. he only offered a $100 refund!!!!. thats all i can get out of this, oh well.
Tell him no... I would calculate what it would cost to repair and send him that figure... if he balks contact eBay and tell them he's being uncooperative.
Last edited by themilford on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drhoward20

Post by drhoward20 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:08 pm

mail back small box with signature confirmation
that is all paypal ebay wants

themilford

Post by themilford » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:25 pm

drhoward20 wrote:mail back small box with signature confirmation
that is all paypal ebay wants
This seems a tad dishonest... should he put a note in there too that says "screw you asshole!" ? :lol:

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:36 am

BlackGnosis wrote:In the name of schadenfreude, I find this remarkably entertaining...

Some parcel handlers suck in the fact they're extremely rough with the items they drop off. I live in a place where I dread anything delivered by UPS. Its going to be broken in some way when I open it.
United Parcel Smashers.

People who are totally inept when it comes to packing some item properly are even worse though.

A friend of mine used to have this Elektronika EM-25, and he was relieved when he finally managed to sell it because it sounded terrible. Probably the worst choice when it comes to string synthesisers, but then again, it´s of course a question of what music you want to make with it.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Tek

Post by Tek » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:07 pm

My advice is hang in there.

I ended up with a keyboard wrapped in one layer of cardboard with no padding, shipped from about 500 miles away in the same country. It was trashed, I photographed the damage. Ebay and paypal tell you to send it back after contacting the seller. So this is what happened:

- I sent it back just as ebay and paypal told me to do (Cost to me - non refundable £50).
- He refused to accept it and it was returned to me (left in depot - I refused to have it back).
- I argue with pay pal, for a long time; it goes in my favour, then his, then mine etc, etc, it ultimately goes from the American to the European vice president no less who tells me it is my fault (WTF?!), this takes months and months.
- I have no keyboard and I am out of pocket.
- Nearly two years later (!?!) I get a customer satisfaction survey from paypal. I reply by telephone. . . .

At this point I have been working in peoples houses (electrician) doing two to three jobs aday for nearly two years telling EVEYBODY this story and to stay clear of ebay and paypal - thats about 2000 potential or existing customers I speak to, and thats if there was only one person in the house at the time.

The guy on the end of the new British helpline looks at my case - sees that I have done everything asked of me and that it is clearly not my fault. I instantly get a refund for the synth but not the £50 return postage.

2 Years!

Was it worth it?

Probably not worth the frustration at how multi billion grossing companies screw you up. But it made me discover Amazon and I've had refunds and replacements 'no questions asked' from them.

It also made me take alternate routes around the system.

I ended up going to the sellers houses and picking the items up, it costs a lot but no where near the hundreds of pounds it would cost me is taking another 'hit' for paypal. And the other thing that happens is that you get the item cheaper - no sellers fee for them or postage for you, sometimes you also get to exchange your own items with the seller at the same time, just arrange it over the phone. I have saved thousands this way and met some great people, one of whom was a famous musician (I didn't realise until I arrived there).

And that is the way to screw ebay and paypal, they make enough from everyone else. I know just how you feel, completely pished off and deflated, but worst of all it makes you think badly of others. Some musicians are wonkers but some of them are decent hard working people, there is at least one decent person working at paypal!
Reason 6.5 and a bit of hardware.

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Post by vicd » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:51 pm

There's yet another option which does not look like widely utilized - filing not a paypal dispute, but a VISA chargeback (if that's VISA of course) - had to do this a couple of times.

It's slow (may take 2 to 6 months) but works miracles once you care to collect enough evidence and attach it to your file. There's a something like $20 or so non-refundable fee for that (AFAIR, it's bank-dependent).

It looks like Paypal steps away in such cases, by canceling the dispute and letting the card system do its job - well, the chargeback procedure is anyway longer then the 45 days welcomed by PP/ebay.

If the VISA conflict committee (or whatever it is called) decides you failed to present enough evidence of fraud/whatever, it's your problem, but if they decide you're good, it's now paypal's losses.

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!