New prices of synths on VSE

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
foodeater

New prices of synths on VSE

Post by foodeater » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:48 am

Sorry, not sure where to post for discussion of the site itself.

I think it'd be interesting to know the prices synths were originally released at. It can be surprisingly hard to find that info online. Maybe the MSR and street prices at time of release?

It'd be an a good way to put used prices in perspective when you take into account inflation.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: New prices of synths on VSE

Post by Z » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:10 am

I'm pretty familiar with prices of Roland synths from mid/late 80s. Somewhere, I should still have copies of pages from an early 90s Orion Blue Book of most synth manufactures which has MSRP for most items.

What synths are you wondering about?

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:56 am

Try to find a copy of the A to Z of Analog Synthesisers books. It lists the original prices for every synth. Excellent books. If you just want to know a few prices I can look them up for you. I was actually on the Orion Blue Book board of advisors for vintage synth prices so I have those as well...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:33 am

I too find that the original retail price should be added to the synth's pages, as a permanent data. While today's price can change anytime (mostly the reason why "recent average" prices where removed not so long ago), at least we'd have an understanding of how they relate to each other when they first came out...
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:10 am

Seems to me the "current values" were removed because too many potential buyers were complaining to the seller that they were asking too much... and then point out the price listed here. Sure, it would be interesting to show the original price, but I think you'd get too many dummies mistaking that for current value, and causing the whole problem again.

Perhaps a thread within the forum to list original price? Just to satisfy us geeks. :ugeek:
You can't synthesize love

foodeater

Post by foodeater » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Z wrote:I'm pretty familiar with prices of Roland synths from mid/late 80s. Somewhere, I should still have copies of pages from an early 90s Orion Blue Book of most synth manufactures which has MSRP for most items.

What synths are you wondering about?
How about the Alpha Junos in dollars if you don't mind? I've been thinking about trying one for a while.

Right now, I'm wondering about the Prophet VS.

I found what I was looking for originally, I was wondering about the ms20 because of the re-issue. The "overpriced" nature of the 808 or 909 or new Moogs comes up from time to time, so I went digging around for them and old Moogs too. VSE is my go to site for looking up electronic instruments, is all. Info shows up and vanishes from Wikipedia seemingly randomly. The Quantum Encyclopedia. :lol:

It just got me thinking, the thing is, when you factor in inflation, used prices still appear generally good! It also helps me appreciate more how new hardware synths, although using different technology, may seem expensive, but are budget models when you de-flate them! :lol: I think the artificial de-valuation of instruments was perhaps bad for the electronic music instrument industry and it's no mistake that we're seeing new analog, now that they can compete with used prices.

ETA: I'll look up the A-Z book too

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:19 pm

I agree with this 100%. I always thought the whole estimated current value thing, while a valid addition, is just too difficult to track and keep up to date. The original release price would be AWESOME. Actual historical data that is concrete, and won't be out of date every year is beyond valuable. Make it so! :lol:
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:17 am

Juno-1 $895
Juno-2 $1295
Prophet-VS $2995
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com