JX-80 and PG-800 connection problem?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
skelechairs

JX-80 and PG-800 connection problem?

Post by skelechairs » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:59 am

Finally was able to get my hands on a PG-800. I opened up the box, pulled it out, plugged it in but seems to not be syncing when I'm moving the sliders up and down or turning the knobs. I re-read the manual and there isn't anything on syncing/connecting the PG-800, just an ancient diagram of the programmer itself. Is there something I am missing? Anybody else ever come across this issue? Any help would do, thanks in advance. Maybe need a new cable? :oops: :?:

fh991586
Gear: Roland D-50 + PG-1000, JP-8080.
Korg Kaossilator, MicroKorg,
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Re: JX-80 and PG-800 connection problem?

Post by fh991586 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:48 pm

I hope you mean a JX-8P?
Which manual did you read? The JX-8P or the PG-800?
I've never used those, but did you check what type of cable is needed to connect them? If you use an ordinary midi cable, then it might not work... Also, there is a specific input behind the JX-8P (not the midi).

Just to make sure: ftp://ftp.roland.co.uk/ProductSupport/P ... 800_OM.pdf
Available for sale:
-Chamber of Sounds Jupiter III (mk1) & Jupiter T (mk1)
-The Complete DX7- Howard Massey (with original enclosed sounds on soft disks)

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:11 pm

I guess the JX-80 is that rare 60 note polyphonic that we thought was just a rumour :D

First thing is always to try another cable. Just a standard midi one the PG-800 (unlike the PG-200) IIRC. Also make sure it's in the right socket (not the MIDI socket).

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:18 pm

maybe fiddle around in the MIDI section of the JX8P and and mak sure sysex/control change/extertnal controls are all on. i thought my software PG didnt work till i saved new MIDI settings. also check the memory protect isnt on. the 3p had a weird way that if the protect were on it wouldnt let midi thru....

thehighesttree

Post by thehighesttree » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:32 pm

Doesn't sound good. I managed to find the connector cable (a special DIN cable BTW, not a MIDI cable!) and just connected it, turned the power on and it responded as far as I remember. No messing around. You could try engaging the parameter button*, but if that does nothing then I'd try moving the slider and messing around with the cable simultaneously to rule out the cable as the weak link, then check the ports on the synth and PG. Good luck! :)

*I remembered that the parameter button shows your PG tweaks on-screen, but I don't think it makes a difference in its operation. I'm not by my synth so hopefully you can prove me wrong!