Syncing old Roland gear - part 2!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
we_squirm

Syncing old Roland gear - part 2!

Post by we_squirm » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:41 pm

So I previously asked how to sync a tr-707, sh-101, and juno 60 and you guys were a huge help and we figured it out.

So I currently have a JSQ 60 which sorts everything out but if I'm just messing around I also bought some stackable cables to run the juno 60 and sh-101 from the one trigger out of the tr-707. it's been great.

Now here's another brain scratcher. I also have a Moog/Realistic MG-1 which would be super fun to add in the chain. When I take a trigger out from the 707 I can go into the "trigger" input of the MG-1 and get some cool synced bass synth. But for some reason when I do this (remember I'm using stackable cables) the SH-101 doesn't sync with everything else. I'm using the same setup when I sync the juno 60, 707, and 101 with no problems.

Any ideas?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Syncing old Roland gear - part 2!

Post by pflosi » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:20 am

I would think that not the SH101, but the MG1 is not syncing correctly - AFAIK it uses an S-trigger instead of the V-trigger that all your Roland stuff uses...

we_squirm

Post by we_squirm » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:47 pm

pflosi wrote:I would think that not the SH101, but the MG1 is not syncing correctly - AFAIK it uses an S-trigger instead of the V-trigger that all your Roland stuff uses...

when i have the mg-1 hooked up to the tr-707 it syncs totally fine using the trigger out of the 707 and the trigger in of the mg-1. to do that i'm using a stackable cable, so i have another cable coming out of that mg1 cable right at the 707 trigger out to the 101, so isn't it coming right out of the 707 and should be fine? i do this exact same thing with my 101 and juno 60 without any problems...

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:36 pm

Maybe the second Roland synth doesn't like to be put after the Moog? Try the SH101 first, and the Moog with the second cable. If it works, there's no other explanation than petty synth jealousy... ;)
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Wed May 01, 2013 8:46 am

^ Technically, that should be exactly the same, no matter where you put what - the stackcable is just a passive mult that connects the out to all the inputs...

This issue is strange, can you post up a short demo of how it sounds with just the 707, MG1 and 101? Maybe 707 and MG1 first, then bring in the 101 or something...

So does anybody know whether I'm wrong in assuming that a stock MG1 would have an S-trigger input...? I'm quite sure it does... We_squirm, do you know whether yours might have been modded for V-triggers?

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:18 pm

I know that it should not change anything technically, but it's something pretty easy to check out. Just in case it worked out...
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

we_squirm

Post by we_squirm » Wed May 01, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll try the suggestions posted and let you know.

I'm not sure if it was modded. I just was curious to see what would happen with a trigger out of the 707 into the MG-1. Tried it, and it did some cool stuff. Would love to have it all work together.

we_squirm

Post by we_squirm » Thu May 02, 2013 6:07 am

Alright,

So here's what's happening now...

I have three stackable cables coming out of the trigger out of the 707.

first one goes to the sh-101, second one goes to the juno 60, and the last one goes to the moog mg1.

Everything works in sync IF I'm playing a note on the MG-1. When everything is connected the MG-1 seems to trigger the 101 and Juno. If I don't play a note on the mg-1, the other synths don't do anything.

Why is this?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Thu May 02, 2013 11:03 am

That's strange. Seems like the MG1 "interface connections" work both as inputs and also as outputs, depending on what you plug in or something...? I really have no experience with the MG1, maybe check the manual to see what those two jacks do exactly?

If what I assume to be happening is indeed the case, BEWARE! YOU ARE CONNECTING OUTPUTS TO OUTPUTS HERE via the passive mult (stackcable), i.e. the output of the MG1 and the one of the 707. That could potentially fry something. So check the MG1 manual before doing any more tests!

we_squirm

Post by we_squirm » Thu May 02, 2013 9:31 pm

pflosi wrote:That's strange. Seems like the MG1 "interface connections" work both as inputs and also as outputs, depending on what you plug in or something...? I really have no experience with the MG1, maybe check the manual to see what those two jacks do exactly?

If what I assume to be happening is indeed the case, BEWARE! YOU ARE CONNECTING OUTPUTS TO OUTPUTS HERE via the passive mult (stackcable), i.e. the output of the MG1 and the one of the 707. That could potentially fry something. So check the MG1 manual before doing any more tests!

From the MG-1 Manual: The TRIGGER input is simply a switching input - when the hot lead is shorted to ground, it will trigger the synthesizer.

Still sound like a bad idea?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Fri May 03, 2013 8:13 am

Nah if it's strictly input only, you can't do much wrong... The whole issue is still very confusing though...

we_squirm

Post by we_squirm » Fri May 03, 2013 4:02 pm

I'm also very confused, and really don't want to do any damage to my synths....

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Sat May 04, 2013 9:01 am

Yeah it's all strange. Still on S-triggers though: the quote from the manual also indicates S-trigger ("short to ground triggers envelope"). Can you maybe, as suggested earlier, provide a demo: one with only the 707 and MG1, then one with the 101 added as well (which would then be out of sync as you said)... Maybe that could clear something up.

The fact that you need to play a note on the MG1 in that last setting you described is really strange. I have no explanation apart from the idea that it's both an input and an output as well on the MG1...