Jupiter 6 & TR-707

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
we_squirm

Jupiter 6 & TR-707

Post by we_squirm » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:25 am

To sync the arp on my newly bought Jupiter 6 (with Europa) with my Roland TR-707, the setup is the same on a Juno 60, right? 707 Trigger out into Jupiter 6 Arp Clock in?

It doesn't seem to be working. I just bought it and I'm just trying to see if I missed something or if I need to send the Jupiter back to be serviced.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Jupiter 6 & TR-707

Post by Z » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:53 am

If the JP-6 is in Europa mode (most likely is), be sure to set the JP-6's arpeggiator to External Clock Input per page 35 of the Europa User Guide: Hold the DOWN button for 2 seconds and then press the B button while continuing to hold the DOWN button, then release both buttons.

In case you're not subscribed to my channel or saw the post on MatrixSynth, here's a video I made Sunday using the TR-707 to drive my JP-6's arpeggiator and trigger 2 Alesis MicroGates:
[youtube][/youtube]

we_squirm

Post by we_squirm » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:19 am

Thanks for your help.

That seems to kind of work... but alot of the time it's glitching out, seems like it's not reading the clock properly or getting a bit but not all of what it needs.

Would it be simpler to use the MIDI between the 707 and Jupiter? I've never done that either so any help would be great...

Z wrote:If the JP-6 is in Europa mode (most likely is), be sure to set the JP-6's arpeggiator to External Clock Input per page 35 of the Europa User Guide: Hold the DOWN button for 2 seconds and then press the B button while continuing to hold the DOWN button, then release both buttons.

In case you're not subscribed to my channel or saw the post on MatrixSynth, here's a video I made Sunday using the TR-707 to drive my JP-6's arpeggiator and trigger 2 Alesis MicroGates:
[youtube][/youtube]

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:29 am

we_squirm wrote:Thanks for your help.

That seems to kind of work... but alot of the time it's glitching out, seems like it's not reading the clock properly or getting a bit but not all of what it needs.

Would it be simpler to use the MIDI between the 707 and Jupiter? I've never done that either so any help would be great...
Double check the Jupiter 6's arpeggiator Europa clock divider and make sure it's set to 1x (DOWN + 4).

Yeah, MIDI might be simpler, but my video started out with the 707 triggering the MicroGates and I decided to add the JP-6 later. Although, using the External Input instead of MIDI allowed me to trigger the 6x eighth note + 4x sixteenth note pattern instead of just a steady eighth note arpeggio.

I've got a Garfield Electronics Modulator coming next week. There will be some fun rhythmic CV madness happening at my place soon. Stay tuned...

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:03 am

There is a bug in Europa I reported a few years ago with the trigger input timing that has never been fixed. Try it with MIDI clock...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

we_squirm

Post by we_squirm » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:31 pm

synthparts wrote:There is a bug in Europa I reported a few years ago with the trigger input timing that has never been fixed. Try it with MIDI clock...

hmmm thanks.

i've found that i can trigger it with the 707 trig out if i hit A then 1 and make sure F is turned off and then hit B... Weird...