Roland MKS-50 Sound Issue Solved!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
NostalgicSoundsGuy
Gear: Roland MKS-50, Kawai Q80EX, Korg Volca Sample, Korg Volca FM, Korg Wavestation SR
Band: Dire Configurations

Roland MKS-50 Sound Issue Solved!

Post by NostalgicSoundsGuy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:28 am

Hello everyone! I've just recently acquired an MKS-50 from the evil-bay and I was wondering if anyone has ever had any sound issues with this unit. It appears to play fine for a bit, when I hook it up to my Korg 707, but then the note "fades in" and gets "stuck" and just keeps getting stuck until I turn it off. Is this a common issue or something I need to get a repair tech to look at? I've uploaded a short clip as an example...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jrcy0 ... roblem.mp3
Last edited by NostalgicSoundsGuy on Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Roland MKS-50 Sound Issue

Post by Solderman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:24 am

Might try the simple stuff first. Disconnect any sustain pedal at the controller, or set MIDI Hold function off for the patch. Make sure envelope T4 tone parameter is not too high.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:56 pm

Have you tried sending midi from another source? I'd like to rule out the 707 as causing the problem.

newsynthfixx

Post by newsynthfixx » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:58 pm

Someone jump in here because its a long time scince I`ve played with an MKS50..did it not have a midi mode that each voice responded to a guitar sting...mono mode multichannel or something, mode 4 OMNI OFF MONO? so each voice was on a different midi channel ? perhaps the MKS needs a reset or setting back to OMNI OFF POLY in the midi menu?

Damn this luvverley weather and delicious cold beer but to narrow down the problem... googleService Manuals to download the manual and scroll down to factory reset and press buttons 4 and 8 whilst powering up to see if that helps..

sorry lots of luvverly cold beer=s**t humor but the service info is correct.

NostalgicSoundsGuy
Gear: Roland MKS-50, Kawai Q80EX, Korg Volca Sample, Korg Volca FM, Korg Wavestation SR

Post by NostalgicSoundsGuy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:52 pm

No sustain pedal connected, did a factory reset, got rid of the MIDI Hold function from the sound patch I was playing and used a Casio CZ-1000 to control it. Same result. This is really weird. The seller on the evil-bay sold this MKS-50 "as is", but the unit is in "barely used" condition The side facing the front has not a single scratch and the rack ears are pristine. The other sides around the unit have very few scratches. I'll try it with my Alpha Juno 2 next and report later. Maybe this unit likes to play with other Roland gear and not with others? Damn, I was hoping to replace my Juno 2 with this thing.

NostalgicSoundsGuy

Post by NostalgicSoundsGuy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:18 pm

Wow, it just did the same thing with my Alpha Juno 2! Oh and the sound eventually/gradually fades out after some time, once this happens the unit fails to accept anymore MIDI messages from my synth controller! This is really bizarre!

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:17 pm

What happens if you just turn on the synth and let it sit? Does the sound eventually appear?

If after the sound appears, you turn off and back on the synth, does the sound come back sooner?

- Micah

NostalgicSoundsGuy

Post by NostalgicSoundsGuy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:33 am

I left the unit on for an hour and then started playing it, by going through each note sure enough, the sound came back, but I've noticed it happens on the same note I press on my keyboard controller (G key).

NostalgicSoundsGuy

Post by NostalgicSoundsGuy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:09 am

I've just replaced the battery and did another factory reset, but the same issue still persists. I suspect one of the voice chips are dead...

NostalgicSoundsGuy

Post by NostalgicSoundsGuy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:33 am

I reset it again, but this time in mono mode, not in poly mode like last time and the sustained G key went away, but now it sustains another key... the second G key on my Yamaha KX25 midi controller. This time the sustained note will go on forever, BUT will go away once the same note is pressed. Once this happens, the note will randomly trigger and sustain another note and then another when I press all keys one at a time in a chromatic manner. Sigh.

NostalgicSoundsGuy

Post by NostalgicSoundsGuy » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:03 am

I sent in my MKS-50 to a repair shop and thankfully they were able to fix it. As it turns out, it had faulty ICs on it, so they replaced those chips. My friend/bandmate is heading over there to pick it up this weekend. I'm just relieved they were able to figure out the problem and the repair cost was not astronomical. Whew!