DX to OB-8 MIDI clock

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, VP-330, Prophet 600, Pro-One, CS-30, Polysix, MonoPoly, MaxiKorg, Opus 3, Machinedrum
Band: Lunar Modular

DX to OB-8 MIDI clock

Post by syntheticsolutions » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:20 pm

I am sending the midi clock out of my Oberheim DX into the midi in of my Oberheim OB-8 to clock the arpeggiator however, the arpeggiator is being triggered at an incredibly fast rate is there any way of lowering the pulses per second so that the value is less than the oberheim minimum of 24?
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: DX to OB-8 MIDI clock

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:32 pm

I'm not quite sure I understand you. Are these MIDI retrofits? Do you not mean MIDI clock but some other kind of clock? MIDI clock is 24ppqn as standard, so all gear with MIDI clock syncs the same. Sequence resolution is often higher, but actual MIDI clock is always 24.

If you mean some other clock, it'll be a simple pulse train and easy to multiply and divide with a small extra circuit.

I don't have much Obie-specific knowledge, so this is general conjecture. FWIW. :)

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:23 pm

Unless you have a DXa it doesn't even have MIDI and the OB-8 doesn't support MIDI clock sync anyway... It does have an analog trigger clock though... Connect the Click Out (not Clock Out) of the DX to the OB-8 arp clock in...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, VP-330, Prophet 600, Pro-One, CS-30, Polysix, MonoPoly, MaxiKorg, Opus 3, Machinedrum
Band: Lunar Modular

Post by syntheticsolutions » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:18 pm

I do indeed have to DXa and my OB-8 has the Kenton MIDI installation which supports MIDI clock. I managed to get the timing into 1/16ths and 1/8ths however the timing is slightly off and definitely doesn't sound 'tight'
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:33 pm

Try the DX Click Out as I suggested above... Should be tighter than MIDI...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:06 am

I apologize for hijacking this thread, but I have a related question with my DMX.

Neither my SH-101 nor my Jupiter-8 seem to like the DMX's click output. When I listen to the click output directly, I hear a nice steady stream of clicks. But, the sequencer/arpeggiator only triggers for some of those clicks.
Moog Matriarch
Oberheim OB-8/DSX/DMX
Sequential Prophet 2002
Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80
Roland JP-8/SH-101/RS-09/Kiwi-30/D-550
Korg MS-20 Kit/ARP Odyssey FSQ
Yamaha SY99/DX100
Waldorf Microwave 1
Simmons SDSV/SDS9
Elektron Analog RYTM

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:43 am

The DMX's "Click Out" is actually a "Metronome Out" which is an audio signal rather than an electric pulse needed to drive a sequencer or arpeggiator.

You will need something like a Garfield Electronics MiniDoc or Modulator to drive your arpeggiators from the DMX.

[youtube][/youtube]

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:35 pm

Z wrote:The DMX's "Click Out" is actually a "Metronome Out" which is an audio signal rather than an electric pulse needed to drive a sequencer or arpeggiator.

You will need something like a Garfield Electronics MiniDoc or Modulator to drive your arpeggiators from the DMX.

[youtube][/youtube]
...then I really need the Modulator...too bad these things seem to be rare.

The reason I tried the Click Out is because the manual implies that these clicks are usable as triggers. It also mentions a "programmed click" feature in the options menu to trigger clicks on, say, the rim shot.
Moog Matriarch
Oberheim OB-8/DSX/DMX
Sequential Prophet 2002
Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80
Yamaha SY99/DX100
Waldorf Microwave 1
Simmons SDSV/SDS9
Elektron Analog RYTM

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:27 pm

syntheticsolutions wrote:I do indeed have to DXa and my OB-8 has the Kenton MIDI installation which supports MIDI clock. I managed to get the timing into 1/16ths and 1/8ths however the timing is slightly off and definitely doesn't sound 'tight'
See note 11 in the Kenton manual. Rear panel toggle is up for trigger as clock, down for MIDI clock.

Are you 100% certain you haven't accidentally set the divide value to triplets? That could make it sound "slightly" off. It's programmed from the keyboard so it could be an easy mistake to make. Post an audio example and we'll tell you... :)

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:04 am

I found my problem.

Looking through the DMX's service manual, I found out the trigger pulses are +10V / 1ms, and that they recommend increasing the value of C32 or "us[ing] an external one-shot to 'stretch' the pulse", because some synths need a longer trigger pulse.

Meanwhile, looking through my DR-110's user manual, the trigger pulse is specified as +6V / 10ms.

As I'd rather not modify the DMX, I need one of these "one-shot" things.
Moog Matriarch
Oberheim OB-8/DSX/DMX
Sequential Prophet 2002
Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80
Yamaha SY99/DX100
Waldorf Microwave 1
Simmons SDSV/SDS9
Elektron Analog RYTM