Understanding the synthesis of these particular sounds.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Alx's Best New Music

Understanding the synthesis of these particular sounds.

Post by Alx's Best New Music » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:22 am

I'm incredibly curious about the creation of two of the leads in this song.

The first one, beginning at about 20 seconds into the video.

The second one is introduced at about 50 seconds.
This is the one I am most interested in. It oscillates when it's held.
It's an incredibly interesting sound. It almost feels a bit ethereal.

I'm still relatively novice. Less than a year of experience with synthesis.
Trying to learn, but it's all knowledge I'm acquiring here and there, nothing instructed.

Here's the link to the video I've been referencing:
http://youtu.be/M-eLJXfo9TU

If someone more experienced with synthesis would speak on these sounds for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. I do so desperately wish to learn.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Understanding the synthesization of these particular sou

Post by Z » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:18 pm

The first one @ :20 is a very simple sound: one or two saw waves with very short EGs modulating the Filter and Amp. The Filter Cut-Off Frequency is being raised over time - a staple technique in this type of music.

@ :50, if you are referring to the synth counter-melody to the vocals, that would be made with a couple of square waves (maybe experiment with pulse waves of varying widths, but no pulse width modulation). The trick to this sound is the Amp's EG has a slow attack and instant release.

Alx's Best New Music

Post by Alx's Best New Music » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:44 pm

I'm going to experiment in FL Studios w/ what advice you've given me, and try to recreate the sound. I appreciate the help so much.

Alx's Best New Music

Post by Alx's Best New Music » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:50 pm

Z wrote:@ :50, if you are referring to the synth counter-melody to the vocals, that would be made with a couple of square waves (maybe experiment with pulse waves of varying widths, but no pulse width modulation). The trick to this sound is the Amp's EG has a slow attack and instant release.
So the oscillating sound when the note is held is created from the amp envelope?

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:21 pm

Alx's Best New Music wrote:
Z wrote:@ :50, if you are referring to the synth counter-melody to the vocals, that would be made with a couple of square waves (maybe experiment with pulse waves of varying widths, but no pulse width modulation). The trick to this sound is the Amp's EG has a slow attack and instant release.
So the oscillating sound when the note is held is created from the amp envelope?
I didn't listen to the song, but he is trying to say that the amp envelope is what is shaping the sound. As in fading in or out. The amp envelope doesn't have its own sound. Instead of note on/ note off, you can use an envelope to make the sound rise or fall differently, etc

Alx's Best New Music

Post by Alx's Best New Music » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:27 pm

cgren72 wrote:
Alx's Best New Music wrote:
I didn't listen to the song, but he is trying to say that the amp envelope is what is shaping the sound. As in fading in or out. The amp envelope doesn't have its own sound. Instead of note on/ note off, you can use an envelope to make the sound rise or fall differently, etc
Right.. but maybe you should listen to the section that we were referring to. It's not a question of volume.

Alx's Best New Music

Post by Alx's Best New Music » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:35 pm

You can hear it very clearly at about 1:10. It oscillates when held for a bit.

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:42 pm

I gave it a listen. Are you talking about the lfo? It just sounds like an lfo that is delayed. Set an lfo with a second or so of lfo delay (don't think about a delay effect, im talking about the parameter that controls when the lfo turns on after the note is engauged) on a couple of square waves. You may need to adjust the lfo to fade in to give you a more transparent sound

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:44 pm

I saw your second reply, try the lfo thing. Not all synths will have those parameters, but im sure you will be able to find one to use with fl

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:12 pm

I didn't listen past 1:00, since I don't like that type of music.

At 1:10, an LFO is modulating the oscillators' pitch. In the same fashion that a musician of an acoustic instrument would add vibrato to their instrument's sound.

You might want to find a book or website that explains the basics of subtractive synthesis. That will not only help you in figuring out how to create sounds, but to also use the correct nomenclature when asking for help.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:09 pm

In case anyone is interested, the location of the video at 2:06 is Antelope Canyon near Page, AZ, USA. It's a favorite location of mine.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.