Using a synth as master MIDI keyboard w/ sequencer question

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
kushwonder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Using a synth as master MIDI keyboard w/ sequencer question

Post by kushwonder » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:44 am

I've always used a dedicated master MIDI keyboard with my MIDI Brain (sequencer) to play my synths/drum machines......to save space and travel more lightly I've started to use my dx21 as my master MIDI keyboard in addition to slaving it to the sequencer to play its sounds........The problem I am facing is that if I have say a bassline playing on the dx21, I have to put the volume all the way down on the dx21 when I start to play or record another synth, because otherwise I can heard the dx21 bass being triggered along with whatever other sound that I am triggering from another synth...Is there any way to keep the dx21 sounds playing while I play another synth with the dx21's keys? Is this possible
Last edited by kushwonder on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Using a synth as master MIDI keyboard w/ sequencer quest

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:07 pm

Most synths have an on-off switch for "local control" which is what you want, but the DX21 doesn't offer that. Tweaking the volume or otherwise muting the audio output appears to be the only way.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

kushwonder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Using a synth as master MIDI keyboard w/ sequencer quest

Post by kushwonder » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:58 am

meatballfulton wrote:Most synths have an on-off switch for "local control" which is what you want, but the DX21 doesn't offer that. Tweaking the volume or otherwise muting the audio output appears to be the only way.
Thank you!!!