tr-606 power [solved]

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
elsquirrel

tr-606 power [solved]

Post by elsquirrel » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:56 pm

I have an issue with my 606 where the power supply plugged into the dc in jack has to be yanked to one side for it to power up. Sometimes it'll just sit right and power one without a problem. I originally thought the generic power supply I had was bad, but just switched it over and it's the same deal.

Just looking at the jack and inside can't see anything obviously untoward/skewed/disconnected. Any ideas?

Gonna test it with batteries, assuming it'll work fine.

edit: ok not working with batteries. But I think they're flat. :keys2:
Last edited by elsquirrel on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Re: tr-606 power

Post by vicd » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:50 pm

So typical. The "original manufacturers" always try to make the connector fit only the "native one", but not generic ones (seemingly abiding to "standards" - are there any? perhaps too much of them).
So your options:
- go get a Chinese power adapter with =lots= of connectors and suitable voltage/amperage;
- solder an "original" connector to whatever adapter you use;
- replace both sides to have a nice-matching pair.

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

elsquirrel

Post by elsquirrel » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:08 am

I'm using a chinese adapter now. One of the plugs fits pretty well, well enough that you would think it should be fine. That's why I was thinking it might be something to do with the 606. It is not as snug as another boss power supply I just tried (which is the wrong voltage.)

Guess I'll fork out for a recommended boss power supply.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:53 pm

Could be the soldering of the jack to the board is loose. That's what I'd check...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

elsquirrel

Post by elsquirrel » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:34 pm

synthparts wrote:Could be the soldering of the jack to the board is loose. That's what I'd check...
And you would be correct sir! I looked closer and there was a crack around one of the joints - hence having to shift it into better contact.

This is my favorite of all vintage synth forums that I go to. It's the only one.. but still true. :withstupid: