Korg Mono/Poly dead keys (every 8th?)

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Snarecrash

Korg Mono/Poly dead keys (every 8th?)

Post by Snarecrash » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:47 pm

I switched on my Mono/Poly today just to find that there are several dead keys now. :(

Strange thing is, when i go through the keyboard starting on the lowest key:
First three keys work, next one is dead and then every eighth key is dead, like it follows some kind of pattern.

This can't be a coincidence, must have to do with something else.
Last time i used the synth three months ago every key worked like a charm, as always, so...
Anyone had this phenomenon on a Mono/Poly or any other synth?
Last edited by Snarecrash on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Phibes

Re: Korg Mono/Poly dead keys (every 8th?)

Post by Dr. Phibes » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:31 pm

Do you mean every eighth note from the dead G♯, or from the beginning of the keyboard?

Check the 16-wire yellow connector between the keyboard and the KLM-366 board, particular the 10th connection. If this was dead it would explain the dead eighths up from the G♯. If this isn't the case it will be another issue with the key assigner, but hopefully not. Let us know!

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:39 pm

Beat me to it. What Dr. Phibes said.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Snarecrash

Post by Snarecrash » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:18 pm

Thanks the both of you and yes it's every eighth key from G♯.
I've unplugged the connector from said board (it says KLM-356 on mine btw) but i only unplugged the connector that goes into the board. The other end that goes into the keyboard was to tight.
I removed a little bit of dirt that was underneath before reconnecting the plug again.
Unfortunately this didn't did the trick but this is as far as my "skills" go. :)
Should the tenth connection on the 16-wire connector checked with a multimeter?

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:26 am

Yeah you'll need to try and release the keyboard end to do a continuity test with a multimeter.

Have a close look at the connector, are the blue splodges on the two narrow ends? Sometimes they glued on molex connectors to keep them secure. If there is, take a very sharp knife and run it down the seam between the plug and socket (or whatever the terms are). Chances are you probably just need to pull harder which admittedly is never a pleasant thing to do with sensitive electronics but these old connectors can need a bit of elbow grease to shift.

It helps to unscrew the keyboard assembly and remove it from the synth itself; that way if it does come away your hand won't smash into the circuitry with the released force.

I've seen first hand how these old cable connectors can fail - the little terminal spring thingy at one end can just give out. You can actually fix them but it's fiddly and requires a crimper you'll probably hardly ever use again. If this is the fault (and hopefully it is because it's the easiest fix) you can try to buy a new one from a supplier - there are some on this site.

Snarecrash

Post by Snarecrash » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:43 pm

I took out the keyboard but still wasn't able to pull out the connector. No blue splodges, but i carefully inserted a slim screwdriver between plug and socket. It made a soft crackly sound like if it's glued from the inside.
Well anyway, after that i put the keyboard back in, closed the synth and you know what? It's working again! =D>
I already thought i had to give this to an professional but thanks to you i was able to do it all by myself.
Thank you very much Dr. Phibes for your precise and competent help!