Desktop fm synth

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Nnnnn

Desktop fm synth

Post by Nnnnn » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:58 pm

I'm trying to find a desktop fm synth that is relatively portable. I was looking at buying 2 yamaha dx200s but I heard you can hear the filter stepping whenever there's a sweeping lfo, does anyone know if that's true? Also I heard you need to use the software it comes with to use it to its full potential and I'm trying to stray away from my pc as much as possible.
I was also looking at the waldorf blofeld and it seems like almost exactly what I want except that its not "true" fm synthesis.
The last synth I was looking at was either a virus c or a virus ti snow but I'm still unsure what I should get as there aren't any shops near me for me to demo them.
Can anyone recommend some other fm desktop synths?

BaconTastesGood

Re: Desktop fm synth

Post by BaconTastesGood » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:27 pm

Have you considered the PreenFM?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:44 pm

The FM features found in synths like the Blofeld and Virus are nothing like the FM found in the Yamaha DX series synths.

Yes, the DX200 cannot be deep programmed without the editor and editor support ended with Mac OS 9 and WinXP. I have no idea about the filter but inside the box is a PLG150-DX board which is a full DX7-II on a board and has no filter. I believe Yamaha added a filter as part of the other circuitry in the box (the drum machine, effects, etc.).
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Nnnnn

Post by Nnnnn » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:52 pm

How is fm in the blofeld different from the yamaha? Is there no dedicated fm engine on it? Everything I've seen so for from the blofeld doesn't really focus on fm that much. I'm trying to get tinny or dx7ish sounds and was wondering if that's possible with the blofeld.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:02 pm

What all do you want out of an FM synth? If you're just wanting simpler Sega Genesis-like sounds, the Yamaha FB-01 is dirt-cheap, multitimbral, and quite compact; if you want the full DX7 experience, the TX7 is a good bit larger, but is basically a Mk.1 DX7 in a box.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Nnnnn

Post by Nnnnn » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:39 pm

I'm trying to get an fm synth I can use for drones and big chords. So the more operators the better.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:38 pm

Yeah, the TX7 would be a great choice if you don't need multitimbrality, then. Otherwise, you could go for a rack unit and get the TX802 (a DX7-II in a box.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Nnnnn

Post by Nnnnn » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:23 pm

yeah I need a multitimbral synth but from what I've read about the tx 802, programming it is living h**l without a PC. also I'm looking for something that I can change the parameters with in real time which I guess I should have mentioned earlier..

fh991586
Gear: Roland D-50 + PG-1000, JP-8080.
Korg Kaossilator, MicroKorg,
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:10 pm

Affordable 80's FM doesn't really fit with real time editing...
Available for sale:
-Chamber of Sounds Jupiter III (mk1) & Jupiter T (mk1)
-The Complete DX7- Howard Massey (with original enclosed sounds on soft disks)

Nnnnn

Post by Nnnnn » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:14 pm

what about unaffordable

fh991586
Gear: Roland D-50 + PG-1000, JP-8080.
Korg Kaossilator, MicroKorg,
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:43 pm

Synclavier? [EDIT: Not a desktop, so forget it!]

Seriously, the Yamaha FM line is reknown for its lack of knobs, so forget deep menu diving in live action!

I can't see anything that fits your desire.
Available for sale:
-Chamber of Sounds Jupiter III (mk1) & Jupiter T (mk1)
-The Complete DX7- Howard Massey (with original enclosed sounds on soft disks)

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:36 pm

You can't program the TX7 from the panel. You need either software or a DX7.

From the DX/TX era, there's only the FB01 (4-op, sinewaves), the TX7 (6-op, non-programmable as standalone), or maybe the DX100 (keyboard, but small and programmable - 4-op, sinewaves). Then there was the TQ5 which was kind of a TX81Z in a desktop box (4-op, 8 waveshapes).

Afterwards the SY series had a companion set of TG desktop modules. I have no experience of those, but the SY77 is a fantastic and powerful synth that takes a lot of getting your head round - the TG77 module was, I think, the desktop version.

As for the FM in the Bolfeld, it is not as complex as Yamaha FM. In Yamaha's system, you kind of have multiple oscillators that can be independently articulated and modulated by each other in a variety of ways in particular arrangements. A great many synths use "frequency modulation" as a way of getting clangy sounds, but Yamaha's was the main method of synthesis and is much freer and more complex than just having one oscillator modulate one other.

For realtime editing on the fly with these things, you're looking at an extra knobby controller that transmits sysex/CCs. Otherwise you'll need to push a lot of buttons... though it's interesting how much less complex the DX7 seems now than it did a couple of decades ago.

BaconTastesGood

Post by BaconTastesGood » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:49 am

Seriously, why not the PreenFM2?

http://ixox.fr/preenfm2/

Nnnnn

Post by Nnnnn » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:03 am

I wouldn't mind jumping from page to page to change parameters as long as it works in real time so I wouldn't have to press a key again to hear what changed. and yeah I think I might actually get a preenfm or two but I'm not really that good at soldering things. thanks for the suggestions

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:40 pm

Nnnnn wrote:what about unaffordable
Unaffordable? Any of them and this:

:mrgreen:
nathanscribe wrote:You can't program the TX7 from the panel. You need either software or a DX7.

From the DX/TX era, there's only the FB01 (4-op, sinewaves), the TX7 (6-op, non-programmable as standalone), or maybe the DX100 (keyboard, but small and programmable - 4-op, sinewaves). Then there was the TQ5 which was kind of a TX81Z in a desktop box (4-op, 8 waveshapes).

Afterwards the SY series had a companion set of TG desktop modules. I have no experience of those, but the SY77 is a fantastic and powerful synth that takes a lot of getting your head round - the TG77 module was, I think, the desktop version.

As for the FM in the Bolfeld, it is not as complex as Yamaha FM. In Yamaha's system, you kind of have multiple oscillators that can be independently articulated and modulated by each other in a variety of ways in particular arrangements. A great many synths use "frequency modulation" as a way of getting clangy sounds, but Yamaha's was the main method of synthesis and is much freer and more complex than just having one oscillator modulate one other.

For realtime editing on the fly with these things, you're looking at an extra knobby controller that transmits sysex/CCs. Otherwise you'll need to push a lot of buttons... though it's interesting how much less complex the DX7 seems now than it did a couple of decades ago.
Good info here by nathanscribe. I think the DX100 and / or TG line might be your best shot (they all are awesome!).

Forget about this though:
Nnnnn wrote:I wouldn't mind jumping from page to page to change parameters as long as it works in real time so I wouldn't have to press a key again to hear what changed.
Not possible on any Yamaha DX AFAIK... No matter whether you dive into the menu or use a sysex/cc controller. I guess it wouldn't even work with the Jellinghaus, but then what do I know...

Cheers!