Setting up multiple synths, sequencer and drum machine no pc

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
BaconTastesGood

Re: Setting up multiple synths, sequencer and drum machine n

Post by BaconTastesGood » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:12 am

btw there is a newly listed MPC1000 w/ JJOSXL on Muff's BST right now (I'm not affiliated with that buyer in any form) for $500 + shipping, which seems like a decent deal?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:19 am

Yeah that's a pretty good deal if it's the model with the new pads. Only two midi outs on the 1000, still a nice machine though.

BaconTastesGood

Post by BaconTastesGood » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:01 am

It's actually the black model but it looks like he swapped out a ton of stuff on it (including new pads and some new buttons). Looks legit, only downside is that it was a live performance so it's one of the few musical items that doesn't have the specious "never gigged, smoke free studio" tagline =)

clegg

Post by clegg » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:52 pm

Thank you for the link. I'll keep my eyes open. I don't have the funds for one right now, but at least I know what I'm going for. I'll wait a little until I find something that works.

Another question for you guys, regarding my Roland MSQ-100. Simple enough sequencer and I did get it to sequence 1 of my synths. However, I have ready that the sequencer is a 1 track BUT multi channel sequencer.

The idea is to put the sequencer in -- mode, which listens to all incoming midi, and use different channels on the synths, so it should sound like a multitrack even though everything is overdubbed from each different synth/channel.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to physically plug my synths to the sequencer to make this work.

I've been trying with my Juno 106 and my Poly 800 MKII with no luck.

both my poly 800s don't have midi thru.. Only IN/OUT.

I know this isn't the ideal synth setup, but I'd like to get it working just to be able to understand the proper way of setting the synths together.

Merci!

taran2ula

Post by taran2ula » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:30 am

Hello friends. I have a connection question that is similar and I have tried everything under the sun to get it working but only had minimal success. I have a Yamaha Motif XS8 keyboard that I want to use as the sequencer. I have a Roland JD-XA keyboard that I will use for extra sounds. I have an Alesis SR18 drum machine. I want to sequence from the Yamaha Motif since the sequencer on the Roland JDXA is a pure outright joke. So ridiculously hard to use and impossibly unconventional and broken right out of the box. They never should have released this keyboard like this. Anyway, I have the midi out of my Motif connected to the SR18 DM, and the thru from the drum machine connected to my Roland JDXA. I have all the audio outs connected via 1/4" TS to a Tascam DP24SD on separate inputs. What is the best way to set these things up? If I use thru's, wont that send an exact copy of the data that was sent to the in on that device? So if I play an arppegiated pattern on the motif and it sends this pattern data to the SR18 DM, wont the drum machine send this same exact pattern out of the thru's? If so, this is not what I want. I want to be able to play different pieces on each keyboard and the drum machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers folks. :)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:07 pm

The solution is simple. Set each device to use a different MIDI channel. MIDI devices receive all information sent to their IN port, but ignore anything not on their assigned channel (1-16). The SR18 by default is on channel 10 and the Motif sequencer defaults to using the track number as the MIDI channel (although this can be overridden). On any given track the sequencer can drive only the Motif (set the track to INT), an external device (set the track to EXT) or both (set both INT and EXT).

Read the manuals of the JD-XA and SR18 to understand how to set the MIDI channels.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

taran2ula

Post by taran2ula » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:00 am

meatballfulton wrote:The solution is simple. Set each device to use a different MIDI channel. MIDI devices receive all information sent to their IN port, but ignore anything not on their assigned channel (1-16). The SR18 by default is on channel 10 and the Motif sequencer defaults to using the track number as the MIDI channel (although this can be overridden). On any given track the sequencer can drive only the Motif (set the track to INT), an external device (set the track to EXT) or both (set both INT and EXT).

Read the manuals of the JD-XA and SR18 to understand how to set the MIDI channels.

Hi and thank you kindly for your reply. Yes I do understand how to set the instrument tracks (Motif midi tracks) to either internal or external and this works great except when I want to control the SR18 which is set to receive on 16, I set Motif instrument track (midi track) 16 to external and uncheck internal. The problem is that I can no longer hear the drum machine play notes when I hit the keys on the Motif, UNLESS, I recheck the internal box for instrument track 16 and then uncheck it. Very strange why this is happening. The other problem is that when I start recording on the Motif and start laying out a pattern with the motif keys, controlling the SR18, and hearing the sounds respond top my key presses, when I finish recording and press play on the Motif sequencer, the SR18 does not play back the sounds. The Motif is midi out to the SR18 midi in on channel 16. The SR18 has clock in off or it will only play patterns recorded on the SR18, and not patterns made with the motif key presses. Drum in is set to V1. It's like the motif is sending the midi out data to midi 16 when I play, but not when I play back a sequence, OR, the sequencer is not recording the actual note presses and therefore can not send that data out on midi 16 so the SR18 will play. The Roland JDXA is now plugged directly into the Motif via midi out from JDXA, and in to the motif, yet it seems to require a degree in rocket science to program the midi transmit channels for the JDXA because it uses a different midi channel for every layer/sound in a patch, and a patch could contain many different sounds. Up to 8 analog and digital combined. I want to play the entire sound the way it comes up on the Roland but I need a million midi channels to do it I think. I am beginning to wish I had not bought this Roland JDXA. Anyway, thank you very kindly for your help and it did indeed help because it jogged my mind and got me rethinking.

taran2ula

Post by taran2ula » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:20 am

meatballfulton wrote:The solution is simple. Set each device to use a different MIDI channel. MIDI devices receive all information sent to their IN port, but ignore anything not on their assigned channel (1-16). The SR18 by default is on channel 10 and the Motif sequencer defaults to using the track number as the MIDI channel (although this can be overridden). On any given track the sequencer can drive only the Motif (set the track to INT), an external device (set the track to EXT) or both (set both INT and EXT).

Hi and thank you kindly for your reply. Yes I do understand how to set the instrument tracks (Motif midi tracks) to either internal or external and this works great except when I want to control the SR18 which is set to receive on 16, I set Motif instrument track (midi track) 16 to external and uncheck internal so I don't hear the motif instrument assigned to track/midi channel 16 hoping to hear only the external sound coming from the SR18. The problem is that if uncheck the internal motif sound and check external, I wont hear the external sound unless I recheck internal. Then I have to hear a piano playing along with my SR18. After it is recorded then I can hear the SR18 played back through the motif sequencer, but only if I uncheck the internal box for that instrument track, (16) This is a pain in the a*s because I then have to listen to the piano doubling over my drum track. I have fixed it by going into the mixer section of the motif and turning the volume slider all the way down for internal instrument track 16, but I thought using the internal and external switches would work for me, and it does somewhat, but not correctly. On a different problem, the Roland JDXA is now plugged directly into the Motif via midi out from JDXA, and in to the motif, yet it seems to require a degree in rocket science to program the midi transmit channels for the JDXA because it uses a different midi channel for every layer/sound in a patch, and a patch could contain many different sounds. Up to 8 analog and digital combined. I want to play the entire sound the way it comes up on the Roland as a patch, but I need a million midi channels to do it I think. I am beginning to wish I had not bought this Roland JDXA. Anyway, thank you very kindly for your help and it did indeed help because it jogged my mind and got me rethinking. Very much appreciated and massive respect to you for your patience with dummies like me. :)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:54 pm

taran2ula wrote:when I want to control the SR18 which is set to receive on 16, I set Motif instrument track (midi track) 16 to external and uncheck internal. The problem is that I can no longer hear the drum machine play notes when I hit the keys on the Motif, UNLESS, I recheck the internal box for instrument track 16 and then uncheck it.
This is totally normal, a "feature" of all the Motif sequencers since day one that is not documented in the manuals. You can only record if a track has Internal set ON. What I did was create a Voice (patch) in USR1:A:1 which I called "Silence", initialized the voice and then turned all elements OFF. That way it makes no sound nor does it use any of the 128 voices of the synth engine. In the Motif system settings, I set "Silence" as the default Voice on power-up. I use "Silence" anytime I am controlling an external device, whether just playing it in real time or when sequencing. After recording the track, I can turn "Silence" into a Mixing Voice which I can rename so a more appropriate name shows up on the sequencer screen, in your case perhaps "SR18" or the name of a JD patch. Mixing Voices are stored inside sequences so you do not wate any slots in the USR banks for them.
when I finish recording and press play on the Motif sequencer, the SR18 does not play back the sounds.

Have you gone into the Edit screen and verified that you did in fact record the notes?
it seems to require a degree in rocket science to program the midi transmit channels for the JDXA because it uses a different midi channel for every layer/sound in a patch, and a patch could contain many different sounds. Up to 8 analog and digital combined. I want to play the entire sound the way it comes up on the Roland but I need a million midi channels to do it I think.
That is one of the most maddening features of the JD in my opinion. You are forced to always record from the JD keyboard and then end up with up to eight tracks of mostly identical data...I assume controller data that only impacts specific layers apear only on the tracks assigned to those layers. As soon as I heard about this, I lost all interest whatsover in the synth. The combination of the JD and the Motif sequencer is not a good one because of the 16 track limitation. If it was me, I would either ditch the JD or move to a sequencer with more MIDI tracks...a computer (unlimited tracks), an MPC (32 tracks) or similar.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

taran2ula

Post by taran2ula » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:49 am

Hi friend. Thank you kindly for your reply and input. Yes I did indeed verify that notes were recorded. I discovered that the internal switch needs to be checked in order for the external device to be recorded and heard back through the midi transmission, although I don't understand the logic of that. The problem was that I kept hearing the default keyboard layer on the track I was using to control the SR18 and I thought I could just shut off the internal sound during recording. I found that by going into the mixing section and just lowering the volume fader for that track all the way down, it worked perfect. You're right about that JDXA. What a nightmare. The sequencer on this thing is so bad it defies all forms of logic. In fact, it just plain does not work. The way they assign midi channels to every sound whether analog or digital poses big problems for sure. I did notice that the analog voices 1-4 can all be grouped to midi channel 1 if you push the poly stack button, but not the digital voices. I sure do appreciate your taking the time to respond to me and thank you again for your input. Have a great day and take care. :)