Help with Yamaha SY85.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Help with Yamaha SY85.

Postby Tagore » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:54 pm

Hello, I own a Yamaha SY85 and all of a sudden the sounds are lost, nothing can be heard with headphones or via audio out. I can't use the floppy disk or the card to restore it because both things don't function anymore. I'm sure there must be a way via menu to restore the sounds. Thank you very much.
Tagore

Re: Help with Yamaha SY85.

Postby Reconfigure » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:30 pm

I don't have any experience with the SY85. But since I always have questions about things and wish they would get answered, I'll just take a guess: Local Off? I don't know how much experience you have, but it seems like something I would do with my first keyboard.
Reconfigure

Postby pflosi » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:44 pm

Good call on "local midi". If it's not that, maybe the battery is empty.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby Obinnamodestus » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:54 am

Am Modestus Udemezue from Nigeria my Yamaha SY85 suddenly stop sounds but displaying what can I do
Obinnamodestus

Postby firedance1978 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:00 pm

Hi Everyone!
I just bought a Sy 85 few weeks ago and the internal floppy disk do not working. I took it of and sadly found out that the belt is just disappeared from it.I have checked it online how much would be a replacement and found few of them but its expensive enough. i got an idea what if i change the old floppy drive for a new USB emulator. I found a lot of different type in a lot of different price, as from 10 eur to 150 eur. so i just got a huge confused which one would be good to buy. My question would be... is anyone here who has it done previously? Can i get advice which to buy and how to replace it? I would be so greatful for any help.Thanks and have a great music time to all of us:)Regards Tamas :)
firedance1978

Postby coldwar » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:06 pm

A lot of folks just skip the floppy drive replacement and go with an emulator such as this
https://www.amazon.com/Gotek-SFR1M44-U1 ... 3T0MNPZW65

You basically have a program on your PC that cuts a standard USB thumb drive into a bunch of 1.44MB partitions and lets you store files on the stick. Then you plug the stick into the GOTEK and voila! you have access to hundreds of thousands of floppy discs. Saves on disc swapping and great for storing many soundbanks/patches. It has standard floppy connector so you just pop out the old drive and this sits right in its place as a drop in solution-no soldering required. They also have ones in black color to match your Yamaha better.
Otherwise you are on the right track with just buying an old floppy drive and slapping it in there. It really should not be any more than 20 dollars for one. You could also probably just find an old cheapo tower PC on craigslist for the same amount and get it from there :) Good luck! Nice machine :)
coldwar

Postby firedance1978 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:47 pm

Thank you so much. it was really helpful to me. appreciate. cheers:Tamas :) :) :) :)
firedance1978

Return to HELP!