Help with my setup and maybe next purchase

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
beatemup

Help with my setup and maybe next purchase

Post by beatemup » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:05 am

Hello all,

Longtime reader, first post.
I've been making some changes to my setup recently and could use some advice as I'm really out of my element here. I feel stuck, in that my current configuration I have to make sacrifices that slowdown my ideal workflow, and maybe a fresh set of braincells could give me a solid recommendation(s)

Let me explain my setup up a little better: motu audio express, integra 7, midi controller, basstation 2, alpha juno 2

here's the challenge id like to overcome. I have mapped basic CCs to my controller for easier editing on the i7 (cutoff, resonance, amp ASDR) I even upgraded to sonar x3 just for vst3 support so i could utilize the i7s forever delayed vst editor and have found its just cumbersome and not as gratifying and tactile control. If I replace my controller with my alpha2, I gain a great sounding synth, but I lose that ability for realtime control on both the i7 and basically the alpha juno 2. Good old alpha dial.

I'd really like to replace the controller with an analog poly that not only can I more easily edit the synth itself tactically, but can map controllers to the i7 similar to what i've been able to with a controller. I have been considering a Prophet 08 but don't want to spend that kind of money if I can't edit my i7 from it due to different mappings. Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

tdack
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW-MKII and anything analog or modular.
Band: drOHM. T.Dack.

Re: Help with my setup and maybe next purchase

Post by tdack » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:21 am

My advice:

Get rid of the computer setup and go all hardware. ;)

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:23 pm

My advice: a PG300 for the a-JU (or Kiwitechnics Patch Editor) and a V-Synth instead of the Integra :thumbright:

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:27 pm

beatemup wrote:I'd really like to replace the controller with an analog poly that not only can I more easily edit the synth itself tactically, but can map controllers to the i7 similar to what i've been able to with a controller. I have been considering a Prophet 08 but don't want to spend that kind of money if I can't edit my i7 from it due to different mappings. Your thoughts?
Basically there is no analog synth of any kind that works well as replacement for a dedicated MIDI controller.

While the Prophet 08 can send CCs from it's knobs, it does not allow you to remap knobs to specific CCs. That means only the CCs that the Prophet sends will be available and I doubt they line up with the Integra CCs very well.

For tactile control of the Integra, take a look at the Behringer BCR2000 which is a knobby control surface, $150. Then you can buy whatever analog poly you like ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Here's a video showing a BCR2000 programmed to control a DSI Tetra, to give you an idea how it works. It stores multiple presets so you can have it programmed to control various devices (hardware or software...it has both USB and real MIDI jacks) if you need to.

You'll notice it's quite large and it has a proper AC cord, too.

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.