Excessively Smelly Gear

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Dr. Phibes

Excessively Smelly Gear

Post by Dr. Phibes » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:03 pm

Do any of you guys have any tips for getting the smell out of old keyboards? I got an old combo organ recently (yeah, I know, so ban me) and it stinks to high heaven despite ostensibly being in quite good condition.

I tried taking off the lid and washing it and it still smells like death.

Virgule

Re: Excessively Smelly Gear

Post by Virgule » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Try to wash it and leave it out in the sun

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:44 pm

I always 'wash' the 2nd hand gear I buy. Do this at your own risk. I dilute a LITTLE washing up liquid in warm/hot water and use a WELL WRUNG cloth to clean the surfaces including the underside if I can get to it. Then I repeat the process on and around buttons and rear connectors and run an old toothbrush round buttons and knobs. Another wipe and it's done. Never had any problems doing this.
GC

man-009
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Man-009

Post by man-009 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:57 pm

Open it up and put a few dryer sheets in it. Leave it in for a few days.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:12 am

Dryer sheets eh? I'll give that a go.

P.S. Washing with soapy water didn't help - the stink's permeated the very wood. It's really just the smell of mold and dampness like on an old book but concentrated to the point of being unpleasant. Years of being in some manky old attic I daresay.

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:38 am

You could maybe try adding vinegar to the soapy cleaning solution and leave it out to dry in the sun. Sunrays help in eliminating bacteria and funky odours from furniture to plastic. Wouldn't hurt to give it a shot

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:32 am

My thoughts too, I'm just worried it my bleach a bit. Still, I suppose it's taken years to get in there and it'll take a while to get out.

I'll still give those drier sheets a go though.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:32 am

Dr. Phibes wrote: I got an old combo organ recently (yeah, I know, so ban me).
oh yeah? a farfisa? do tell :mrgreen:

Purity_Control

Post by Purity_Control » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:05 pm

I had something like that happen once with a Marlborough (Ha!) combo organ that stank of cigarette smoke, glad I got it for very little.

The suggestion that was made to me was just to leave it to air for a while... I forget if it worked now as I threw it out of the bathroom window just before the christmas before last when I was having a really bad day. :oops:

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:48 am

I think there was another thread recently somebody had strong odors due to mdf particle board used in something. They took it outside for a day to air out and dry out the moisture causing offensive odors. You also might open the organ case, and use compressed air to blow out the dust and debris that may be trapping the odors. Use a dry paint brush while spraying air to expedite tougher areas.

Along the lines of using a dryer sheet, I might try spraying fabreeze on a cloth and putting it inside overnight.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:22 am

You might do well to try some spray on mould cleaner on the wood parts, some are better than others though.

I got an SSL compressor a while back that reeked of smoke, took the top off, cleaned the h**l out of every nook and cranny with Iso alcohol (which took off a film of black crud), left the top off for a few days, whacked it in front of a fan and afterwards it was a million times better. It really gets me that people smoke around gear like that though :x

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:16 am

Not tried these but a cut lemon in some water gets rid of smells from the fridge. Could be pretty dicey in a synth though.
What about putting some of those silica gel parcels inside for a bit?

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:30 pm

c-level wrote:
Dr. Phibes wrote: I got an old combo organ recently (yeah, I know, so ban me).
oh yeah? a farfisa? do tell :mrgreen:
Nah, and old GEM - I think it's an off-label version of the Vox Jaguar which they were contracted to build. Looks pretty much the same other than unfortunate use of some really ugly multicoloured switches. I do have a nice combo compact, but that's fairly inoffensive odour-wise.

garranimal wrote:You also might open the organ case, and use compressed air to blow out the dust and debris that may be trapping the odors. Use a dry paint brush while spraying air to expedite tougher areas.
Heh, that's quite a gentle technique; I just whacked the hoover around it :twisted:

I'm going to the shops know to get some of this stuff.

Don't think I've bought so much cleaning products in my life.

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:21 pm

garranimal wrote:I think there was another thread recently somebody had strong odors due to mdf particle board used in something. They took it outside for a day to air out and dry out the moisture causing offensive odors.
Yeah, it was mine. Turns out the odor came back a couple of months later, when humidity rised above normal level for a couple of days. But it's full of gear now, so I can't give it another turn in the sun without dismantling everything! :roll: There is a faint smell from time to time, but I think I'm the only one noticing it because I know it's there.

If a possible discoloration is not a problem, I would suggest to try soaking parts into a tough anti-bacterial soap (à la Fantastik), or to just pour it on so that it penetrates inside. This might replace the absorbed humidity by the soap, killing the source of the odor. That would be a lot easier for an empty shell, not with electronic parts nearby...
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:20 pm

What about washing it the best you can, and then sealing the wood with some paint or varnish (depending on what it's original finish is).
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.