If you were doing Chicago house what synths

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Re: If you were doing Chicago house what synths

Postby Baus » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:49 am

Madtheory.... I am listening to the track right now and the 'brassy orchestral hits' you mention don't sound brassy to me at all.

I think they might be edited versions of the Strings patch on the disk. But..... that's just what I think.

Robin
Baus

Postby Baus » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:51 am

And YES.... the Mirage and ESQ-1 do have a vibe that takes me back to those days, yes.
Baus

Postby madtheory » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:07 pm

Baus wrote:I think they might be edited versions of the Strings patch on the disk. But..... that's just what I think.

Yes, could be. By brassy/ orchestral I was trying to describe the sound. I guess the filters on the Mirage could do that? I don't really know though, still haven't used a Mirage with a complete library. Some day!
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.
Band: Minim

Postby pflosi » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:37 am

madtheory wrote:
creativemind wrote:Wouldn't the Yamaha DX7 have been used too?

Not much- too common and generic at the time I guess?

It's a 4op preset, but certainly the Lately Bass has been used a ton... That kind of bass is a very easy sound to dial in on any Yamaha FM.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby creativemind » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:45 pm

On the Yamaha TX81Z 'Lately Bass' great bass. Used a lot in the 90's. Haddaway 'What is Love', Whigfield, 'Saturday Night' and Snap - 'Rhythm Is a Dancer'.

And 'Solid Bass' on the Yamaha DX100 I think.

Classic sound!

Any VST versions?
creativemind

Postby madtheory » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:11 pm

pflosi wrote:It's a 4op preset, but certainly the Lately Bass has been used a ton... That kind of bass is a very easy sound to dial in on any Yamaha FM.

I've never quite figured out how to do that. I still find FM a challenge :roll:
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.
Band: Minim

Postby pflosi » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:42 pm

Try it with two OPs first to get a feel for it. Modulator an octave above the carrier (the output then approximates a square wave). "Organ style" gate envelope for the carrier (basically, just leave the envelope as it is after initializing the patch), short plucky envelope for the modulator (but leave some sustain so the FM index never goes to 0). That's the simple basis, then you can add more things as you wish. :thumbright:
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby ninja6485 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:33 pm

madtheory wrote:Does anyone know if the brassy orchestra hits in "Strings of Life" are from the Mirage factory library? I have an incomplete set of disks and it's not on there.
I'm pretty sure they're from this: the only mirage sample disk I have (so with our powers combined....!!!) Image
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby Baus » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:06 pm

Yes, Ninja6485, that's the one! That's a copy of Ensoniq Sound Disk 100 that you have there.

I think Kevin Saunderson from Innercity had a different disk with the TA, DA and Doo samples which he
used on Good Life. I don't have the original Mirage version of that disk but a Mirage Conversion Series disk
for the EPS. Image
Baus

Postby princefan3 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:38 pm

Hinotori....Your comments were spot on...thank you ever so much for your comments....Virgo Four came to the rescue and I am now a proud owner of a Juno 2, which I got hold of only 4 days after I learnt this was the synth I had been searching for.
The Juno 2 has the dark haunting sound which wanders in and out and the patch 14 is not far off the virgo sound they also use patch 32 a lot.
After studying there sound I put away the TR09 and brought out the 505 and to my amazement the hats sound far better....the 505 is the early hi hat sound and I now have it running along with my 707.
I did have a juno 60 but it just didn't give out the same vibe, close but not nailed on...
So if any of you need...the sound of chicago strings it's the alpha juno 1 or 2.
princefan3

Previous

Return to HELP!