Roland W30 System Disc - Can I modify???

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
dawnmist studio
Gear: Radias
JP8080 & 8000
Supernova II
Fantom XR
DX7fdII
Roland D10, W30
M-Audio Keystation
Korg M1 r
Microsorex Synth
Reason Software
Cubase Light DAW

Roland W30 System Disc - Can I modify???

Post by dawnmist studio » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:13 am

Hiy all

I have a Roland W30 Workstation and I tend to only use this as my main piano now.

What I want to do - if it is possible - is to alter the System Disc so that when it boots up, instead of loading a batch of awful sounding factory sounds it will just load up the piano sounds that I like so that my piano is ready to go as soon as I power the machine up.

What I normally have to do is switch the synth on, make sure system disc is in the slot, wait for it to load that, then take that disc out, change for piano disc, press a few buttons, wait about 45 seconds. Its ok but if I could make it faster would be brilliante.

Does anyone know If this can be done?

Thanks in advance :D :D
Heather

P.S An alternative would be for me to buy a second hand hardware Piano module that has some really excellent realistic sounding pianos on it... any suggestions welcome (sampled preferred rather than synthesized)
Last edited by dawnmist studio on Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Roland W30 System Disc - Can I modify???

Post by Z » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:32 am

The "awful sounding factory sounds" are in the W-30's ROM and not on the boot disk. I'm assuming the piano sound you prefer is another disc with the samples on it since there is no acoustic piano samples in the W-30's ROM, only an electric piano sample.

As far as external piano modules go, there are lots of options. You could go with a "piano-only" module like the Alesis NanoPiano or Oberheim Mini Grand, or with a "ROMpler" sound module with decent piano sounds along with tons of other sounds like a Roland JV-1010 (or any of the JV series modules).
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

dawnmist studio
Gear: Radias
JP8080 & 8000
Supernova II
Fantom XR
DX7fdII
Roland D10, W30
M-Audio Keystation
Korg M1 r
Microsorex Synth
Reason Software
Cubase Light DAW

Post by dawnmist studio » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:00 pm

Hiy.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Yes on the W30 the existing piano sounds I have are from one of the official discs that came with it when I bought the synth when it was new a looooong time ago. All I want to do if possible is have the system disc boot up with those piano sounds on it instead of the ones it comes with. So I guess if the sounds are on the W30 and not on the disc then I can not change this system disc.
Thanks
Heather

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:28 pm

Best sounding piano is Pianoteq.