Yamaha SY85 freezes

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
ukbrad

Yamaha SY85 freezes

Post by ukbrad » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:15 pm

Hi, I have inherited a Yamaha SY85. I have been playing around with it for a bit and key bashing but every now and again it freezes and hums the last note you played, and none of the buttons or keys do anything. The only way to unfreeze it is to turn it off and on again. I wondered if this was a common issue and what could be done to fix it, or I am just such a newbie i'm pressing a button which freezes the synthesizers. Thanks

ukbrad

Re: Yamaha SY85 freezes

Post by ukbrad » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:27 pm

No suggestions?

db0451

Re: Yamaha SY85 freezes

Post by db0451 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:32 pm

ukbrad wrote:I wondered if this was a common issue
Not that I have heard, and I do a lot of reading about old stuff like this.
and what could be done to fix it
The usual suggestion is to check the voltages coming out of the power supply (PSU), and whereas that is often a red herring, in this case it might be relevant. Perhaps a CPU or something is being under- or overvolted and hanging for that reason. The usual culprits are failing electrolytic capacitors

Another thing that is always worth checking, especially because it is so simple, is to un- and re-plug all connectors between the circuit boards (PCBs) and other components inside the synth, to ensure that there are no intermittent (‘loose’) connections that sometimes cause bogus data to reach a CPU or other IC.
or I am just such a newbie i'm pressing a button which freezes the synthesizers.
Again, no such button was ever provided, as far as I know! :-P