Really want this ESQ-1! has issues, looking for guidance

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
vvir

Really want this ESQ-1! has issues, looking for guidance

Post by vvir » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Hello Vintagesynth.com members! Ive been searching for the last few months on purchasing a relatively cheap synthesizer, and I really like the potential the ESQ-1 has to offer and have been holding off on purchasing a different brand or model for something to pop up.

Recently I found that potential purchase, but it seems to have issues and I was wondering if someone here would happen to be able to push me in the right direction on purchasing this or not, and what to do to fix it, hopefully this isnt TOO much to ask and i appreciate any reply in advance!

ANYWAYS, this seems to be a common occurrence, but then again im not very knowledgeable about the hardware aspects of synths... but the OS is 3.50 and the battery was recently changed. Sense that change, It powers up properly and audio works, but sense then the owner hasnt been able to get the buttons to work. They say that voices and all other functions work great through MIDI, what could be the issue here? something with the battery? possibly need to reseat a cable or something? im truely flying blind and dont want to be TOO impulsive on this purchase.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to look through my inquiry, and have a great holiday season!
Last edited by vvir on Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Re: Really want this ESQ-1! has issues, looking for guidance

Post by Big Gnome » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:02 pm

Sounds to me like a poorly reseated or disconnected ribbon cable--there are three or four (if memory serves) that need to be disconnected in order to remove the bigass RF shield to get to the battery, and they can be a little finicky to reconnect once the RF shield is back in place.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

vvir

Post by vvir » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:19 pm

thank you big gnome. ive asked around a few different sites and this seems to be a potential answer to what could be wrong. i guess im just worried about the potential of something being fried thru not being grounded. i heard its rather easy to replace the battery so maybe they just overlooked the cables. im a little up in the air about it, i just wonder if static discharge or w/e could do this to it, i guess that something like that could cause a bunch of random things to happen. i think its worth the risk. thank you for your input.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:21 am

ESQ-1s aren't rare. I would find one that is fully working and not bother with that one...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

elsquirrel

Post by elsquirrel » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:46 am

I think synthparts is right. Wait and find one that's fully tested and working. The savings you make on one with issues may be a bad investment in the long run. I have the more plastic model of esq-1 right now and I have heard that the buttons/screen can be more prone to dieing for some reason.

vvir

Post by vvir » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:59 am

right, i do understand that synthparts. :) but they have been going for like three times as much. I do see it as a risky purchase, and if i had just a little more funds, id just splurge on this working sq-80 instead.

ty for your input as well elsquirrel. maybe i should keep being patient and just wait. :|

vvir

Post by vvir » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:46 am

Any opinions on an ensoniq VFX-SD, i have one available kinda locally for 100 plus shipping. anyone think that would be a safer idea?

Synthetech

Post by Synthetech » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:22 am

I'd kick myself in the a*s if I bought a half functional ESQ-1 for $180+ (I just now saw it on eBay)

You should pass on that one as others have suggested

vvir

Post by vvir » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:24 am

ty synthetech. ya, i think i have come to the conclusion that im not going to go for that one, i talked to a guy who has one for 225, hes just outta the country currently for holidays. need patience. :) that or maybe do this VFX-SD. i may have just got alittle too optimistic and excited v_v

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:01 pm

I have an ESQ-1 and a VFX (not and -SD, but essentially the same machine minus the sequencer, disk drive, and a few drum samples, as I understand it)--both are excellent, deep, superb-sounding instruments, but very different to each other. I'll tell you right now that if you want an ESQ, a VFX will not ever scratch that itch.

In a nutshell, go for the VFX if you want wavetables, effects (which, by the way, still hold up astonishingly well), multitimbrality, and a lush, refined sound; go for the ESQ if you want a really interesting and unique analog lowpass filter (the VFX's actually work really well with the sampled material and can be configured in some cool and unusual ways, but on their own merits, yeah...they suck), ring mod/hard sync, and an overall grungy, aggressive character. Both share the same basic interface, which is wonderful, especially by the tepid standards of 80's button-and-data-slider schemes; although the ESQ is a little more immediate owing to its simpler architecture. The ESQ has a far better keyboard, although it is not aftertouch sensitive. The VFX's keyboard has an unusual feel, but I find it really enjoyable (a little like playing a typewriter, actually...) and the polyphonic AT is a lot of fun, especially for modulating the wavetable position.

I will definitely concur, though, ESQ's are neither particularly rare or expensive; hold out for a fully operational one unless it's being given away.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p