Power supply conversion from 100V to 230V.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Post Reply
User avatar
Yekuku
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:29 am
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P
Location: Greece

Power supply conversion from 100V to 230V.

Post by Yekuku » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:54 pm

I have a Japanese CS30 that works on 100V and I would like to modify the PSU so that it works on 230V. (Europe)
I thought that a simple transformer + fuse swap could do the trick, but it seems to be more complicated than that.
As you can see on the schematics the Japanese version uses a SPST switch (Single-Pole, Single-Throw) and spark suppressor capacitor with a 120Ohm resistor.
To my surprise the European version uses a DPST switch and no (?) spark suppression components.
If I could find a replacement DPST switch, my problem would be solved but it is near impossible to track down a 37 y.o. part.
Image
By looking at the Australian version , I have noticed that it uses the same SPST switch as the Japanese version with no spark suppression components.
Image
If I modify the psu according to the Australian specs, I am quite confident that it should work but I can not understand why the European version uses a different switch than the Australian version. Also I can not understand why both European and Australian versions do not use any spark suppression components. ( the GENERAL/ Universal version has these components)
Any thoughts/ suggestions would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks
It is all about sharing...

db0451
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 12:06 am

Re: Power supply conversion from 100V to 230V.

Post by db0451 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:33 pm

To confirm, have you already sourced the actual transformer? Because it seems to have different part numbers between the two voltages, so simply replacing a switch should not suffice on its own.

User avatar
Yekuku
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:29 am
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P
Location: Greece

Re: Power supply conversion from 100V to 230V.

Post by Yekuku » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:08 pm

Thanks for the reply;)
There is no chance of sourcing the original GA80671 transformer (European/Australian/Universal) as a replacement part.
I am planning on swapping the GA80661 (Japan/US) that I have, with a custom 75W toroidal center tapped transformer 18V-0-18V. Also planning on replacing the 1A Fuse with a 400mA/250V. Thats the easy part so far.
What I cant understand is why they used a DPST power switch in the European version opposed to the SPST used in the Australian version and why there is no spark suppression components on the European/Australian versions.
Since I cant source an original DPST switch, I am planning on using the Australian version with a custom transformer in Europe (230V) but I have to be 1000% sure about it.
It is all about sharing...

User avatar
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2251
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:26 am
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...
Location: Australia

Re: Power supply conversion from 100V to 230V.

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:39 pm

My theory would be that it would've been because of tighter regulations in the EU - switching the active *and* the neutral is safer than simply switching the active. Hence the need for a DPST.

As you say finding an identical DPST probably won't happen, so long as you have the appropriate fuse, required power rating and secondary taps for the transformer I don't see why it shouldn't be fine. If in doubt disconnect the Power Supply so you can test the secondary voltages without danger of damaging anything down the line (Obviously be safe when doing that. Hook up the meter first, then switch the power on/off from a distance).

Also chances are the secondary voltages will need a calibration once the new transformer is in.

Of course if you're really not confident with it, best take it to a tech :geek:

db0451
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 12:06 am

Re: Power supply conversion from 100V to 230V.

Post by db0451 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:41 pm

Ah, I see. It sounds a bit difficult but definitely possible :)

I have a few 100~120 V units that I would like to similarly replace their PSUs, but I lack enough knowledge to create new PSUs, and none of these units seem to be directly compatible with e.g. ATX supplies; they always need strange combinations of voltages, or too high current, or something. Just another peril of retro technology :lol:

Good luck anyway!

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:52 am
Location: USA

Re: Power supply conversion from 100V to 230V.

Post by rschnier » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:43 am

Hybrid88 wrote:My theory would be that it would've been because of tighter regulations in the EU - switching the active *and* the neutral is safer than simply switching the active. Hence the need for a DPST.
Basically correct, however for what it's worth -- in Europe, both lines are active and there is no "neutral" (i.e. tied to ground or 0 V) as there is on 120V power in the USA. Using a SPST switch would technically work, in that it would break the circuit and prevent power from flowing, but it would leave voltage on the wires inside the unit when it's powered off -- generally considered unsafe.

Actually, it's the same on 240V circuits in the USA, which is why the circuit breaker for the house circuits powering the clothes dryer, range, etc. is a double-pole rather than a single-pole.
-- R.

User avatar
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2251
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:26 am
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...
Location: Australia

Re: Power supply conversion from 100V to 230V.

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:20 am

rschnier wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:My theory would be that it would've been because of tighter regulations in the EU - switching the active *and* the neutral is safer than simply switching the active. Hence the need for a DPST.
Basically correct, however for what it's worth -- in Europe, both lines are active and there is no "neutral" (i.e. tied to ground or 0 V) as there is on 120V power in the USA. Using a SPST switch would technically work, in that it would break the circuit and prevent power from flowing, but it would leave voltage on the wires inside the unit when it's powered off -- generally considered unsafe.

Actually, it's the same on 240V circuits in the USA, which is why the circuit breaker for the house circuits powering the clothes dryer, range, etc. is a double-pole rather than a single-pole.
I think you're getting the terminology mixed up, neutral isn't ever tied to ground, the earth pin is.

In a DC system there is a Positive and Negative with the electrons flowing constantly from one to the other, in an AC system (which mains power is) you have an Active and Neutral both having charge going in and out of them, the Earth or Ground pin is connected to the unit's chassis to safely discharge it if it becomes live, thus avoiding potential electrocution.

I think what you're talking about is when they were less safe and used to not have an Earth, i.e. just an Active and Neutral, hence the two pin plugs. My Japanese MS-20 had a power plug like that, with no grounding.

The mains earth isn't ever switched, for good reason.

Steve Jones
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 565
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:40 pm
Real name: Steve
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Power supply conversion from 100V to 230V.

Post by Steve Jones » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:42 am

There may be suppressor caps on the 110 version as they would draw more current than the 240V version. The Star generator system as used in Australia is definitely very different than the Delta generator system used in Europe with regards grounding. Using a DPDT switch improves safety in all situations as it is not unheard of for active and neutral to be transposed if an electrician makes an error in a building's wiring.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:52 am
Location: USA

Re: Power supply conversion from 100V to 230V.

Post by rschnier » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:06 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:
rschnier wrote: Actually, it's the same on 240V circuits in the USA, which is why the circuit breaker for the house circuits powering the clothes dryer, range, etc. is a double-pole rather than a single-pole.
I think you're getting the terminology mixed up, neutral isn't ever tied to ground, the earth pin is.
As I said, in the USA, the neutral line (center tap of 240V secondary coming from the transformer out on the street) is tied to earth ground at the point where the electrical service enters the residence. This is required nationwide on every service. Therefore, 120V circuits -- the kind that would power a synth -- need only to interrupt one side of the circuit (the non-grounded leg) since the other leg has been tied to earth at the service entrance and is at 0V relative to the earth. However, 240V circuits, like would be used for a range or clothes dryer, need to interrupt both sides of the circuit in order to not have live voltage present, as they would in Europe. That's what I was speaking of.
-- R.

Steve Jones
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 565
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:40 pm
Real name: Steve
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Power supply conversion from 100V to 230V.

Post by Steve Jones » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:05 pm

rschnier wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:
rschnier wrote: Actually, it's the same on 240V circuits in the USA, which is why the circuit breaker for the house circuits powering the clothes dryer, range, etc. is a double-pole rather than a single-pole.
I think you're getting the terminology mixed up, neutral isn't ever tied to ground, the earth pin is.
As I said, in the USA, the neutral line (center tap of 240V secondary coming from the transformer out on the street) is tied to earth ground at the point where the electrical service enters the residence. This is required nationwide on every service. Therefore, 120V circuits -- the kind that would power a synth -- need only to interrupt one side of the circuit (the non-grounded leg) since the other leg has been tied to earth at the service entrance and is at 0V relative to the earth. However, 240V circuits, like would be used for a range or clothes dryer, need to interrupt both sides of the circuit in order to not have live voltage present, as they would in Europe. That's what I was speaking of.
Australian and Euro power, while both in the 220-240V range are very different. Europe wires the three coils of their generators in a Delta (triangle) configuration and Australia uses a star formation with the centre of the star tied to ground at the power station. So in Australia there is always zero Volts between neutral and earth. I think that the neutral is bonded to ground at the main panel rather than at sub panels here but I am not an electrician so I don't know the exact rules there.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:52 am
Location: USA

Re: Power supply conversion from 100V to 230V.

Post by rschnier » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:27 pm

^ ^ Thanks, that's good info. I always find it very interesting when looking at differences in power supply requirements among different countries. Cheers!
-- R.

User avatar
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2251
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:26 am
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...
Location: Australia

Re: Power supply conversion from 100V to 230V.

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:14 am

Interesting, didn't know that :)

User avatar
Yekuku
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:29 am
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P
Location: Greece

Re: Power supply conversion from 100V to 230V.

Post by Yekuku » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:38 pm

Due to some life changing events, I was not able to keep up with this thread .

After doing my research , the most logical explanation that i have found about DPST in European PSUs, is that a lot of European countries use symmetrical plugs like schuko and when plugged in the outlet , there is no way of knowing which is the Live/Phase wire and which is the neutral, so for safety reasons, DPST switches are used in order to cut both connections.

thank you all for sharing your knowledge, it was really informative.
It is all about sharing...

SQLGuy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:00 am

Re: Power supply conversion from 100V to 230V.

Post by SQLGuy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:15 pm

When we lived in Belgium, our apartment building used two-phase 230V, so, as mentioned earlier in this thread by others, both lines were "hot" relative to ground. Not all buildings were wired this way. Some (mostly newer ones) used a 230V hot + neutral, rather than two-phase phase hot.

In any case, the prevalence of two-phase 230V supply is probably why a double-pole switch is used. If you can't find a suitable switch, you could use a relay like this one (http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Omr ... dqvMLZs%3d) with the existing switch switching current to its coil.

Post Reply