Alpha Juno 2 Dead Voice (not voice chip)

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
silviu

Alpha Juno 2 Dead Voice (not voice chip)

Post by silviu » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:36 pm

I have an Alpha Juno 2 that recently started having issues with voice 1. I traced that to voice A on the board and swapped the IR3R05 chips between voice A and B, and it made no difference. I think I can assume that the chip is not to blame. I am going to proceed with removing and testing all of the caps in voice A as I think that is the next logical step.

I wanted to check if anyone else had experienced a dead voice on an Alpha Juno or MKS-50 and if they could share any advice on what to test/where to look for issues. Thanks!

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Alpha Juno 2 Dead Voice (not voice chip)

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:56 am

is the VCA on the chip?

gslug
Gear: Jupiter 6, Juno 106, MKS-50, DX7, TX81Z, Emulator II (dead), DPX-1, EPS 16 Plus, x0xb0x, Shruthi, TR-707, 9090, MIDIbox MB6582, MIDIbox Seq V4

Post by gslug » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:47 am

I haven't experienced a dead voice, but have spent some time poking around my MKS-50 with a scope in order to diagnose a noise problem. The IR3R05 is the only active component for an individual voice, but you seem to have eliminated that as the problem. There are a few electrolytic capacitors in the area that may be suspect, as well as trim pot VR1.

If you have access to a scope, check for a signal either side of C20, which couples the DCO output to the IR3R05. Also take a close look at the soldering - my MKS-50 had some awful dry joints.

silviu

Post by silviu » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:35 am

Yes, the chip handles the VCF/VCA.

I've removed all of the capacitors to find out that my capacitance meter does not work. So I will just replace them, I have to head to the electronics shop today anyway. See what that does.

I will also test that trim pot, thanks for the suggestion.