How to sync Roland Tr 606 with Korg Volca Sample???

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
nakedjake

How to sync Roland Tr 606 with Korg Volca Sample???

Post by nakedjake » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:35 pm

It's my first time posting so forgive me if I'm doing anything wrong.

I recently acquired a Roland Tr 606 and a Korg Volca Sample.
I'd like to sync them together, preferable using the Volca as the master as it gives me a BPM read out which would be handy but if that's not possible then the other way round would be fine. I'm a complete novice so I have no idea how this is done.

The 606 has a socket on the back that looks like midi and a switch to select sync in or out. It also has 2 mini jack outputs marked LT trigger and HT trigger but I'll come back to that.

On the Volca there is a port marked midi in but I don't think this is for sync as next to it is 2 mini jack ports marked sync in and sync out. Also in the manual it says the midi in is for instrument control. Could anyone elaborate on that for me? like I say, I'm a novice.

So I guess what I'm asking is.... Is it possible to run a cable from the Volca's mini jack marked sync out to the 606 port that looks like midi (but I think might be Din (what the h**l is Din? :? )) marked sync in to have them play nicely together?

Back to the LT trigger and HT trigger. I've used them to sync the Volca to the 606 but it means I have to write a Tom to every other step and then turn the volume of the Tom down. So basically I'm unable to use the Toms if I do it like that.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. :D

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: How to sync Roland Tr 606 with Korg Volca Sample???

Post by Z » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:44 pm

Follow my video below, except you'll be programming triggers with one of the 606's toms to sync the Volca
[youtube][/youtube]
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

db0451

Post by db0451 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:45 pm

Hi,
nakedjake wrote:The 606 has a socket on the back that looks like midi
No, it's not MIDI. Google DIN sync. These Rolands came out before MIDI was a ubiquitous thing.
On the Volca there is a port marked midi in but I don't think this is for sync as next to it is 2 mini jack ports marked sync in and sync out. Also in the manual it says the midi in is for instrument control. Could anyone elaborate on that for me? like I say, I'm a novice.
If the 606 had MIDI, which unmodified units do not, it might be possible to send MIDI Clock (again, Google it) if the MIDI-modded firmware supported that. But I dunno for sure, and anyway, yours does not appear to be a MIDI-retrofitted 606.
So I guess what I'm asking is.... Is it possible to run a cable from the Volca's mini jack marked sync out to the 606 port that looks like midi (but I think might be Din (what the h**l is Din? :? )) marked sync in to have them play nicely together?
Might fry something: http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... ?p=1706300 Not advised for a beginner!
(but I think might be Din (what the h**l is Din? :? ))
A type of socket/cable, nothing more specific. I don't want to seem like I'm repeating myself on purpose, but again, Google it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector

Good luck.

nakedjake

Post by nakedjake » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:50 pm

Z wrote:Follow my video below, except you'll be programming triggers with one of the 606's toms to sync the Volca
[youtube][/youtube]
Yes I have tried that already and it works but it then means I'm unable to use the Toms which is no fun. Also I'm hoping to sync the 606 to the Volca instead of the other way round. I'm hoping someone here might have a solution.

Thanks anyway though.

nakedjake

Post by nakedjake » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:12 pm

Sorry I should have mentioned. I've done a lot of googling but it's tricky when you don't know what you're searching for. So I just read up on DIN Sync and it now makes sense to me.

What I still know nothing about is the sync on the Volca. What is that called? Also is it possible to run a cable from the sync out mini jack on the Volca to the Din Sync in on the 606 or vice versa?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:05 pm

nakedjake wrote:
Z wrote:MY AWSEOME TR-626 / MonoTribe Video
Yes I have tried that already and it works but it then means I'm unable to use the Toms which is no fun. Also I'm hoping to sync the 606 to the Volca instead of the other way round. I'm hoping someone here might have a solution.

Thanks anyway though.
If you don't want to give up a tom on your 606, then you will need a box that will convert a 24PPQ DIN sync input into a steady stream of pulse triggers. From the "Vintage Days", you can look for a Garfield Electronics MiniDoc or a Roland SBX-10. If you're looking for a new unit, I know there's some DIY kits and some pre-assembled kits on eBay and such. You could also buy a Koma Elektronik RH301, which has all kinds of syncing goodies ;)

nakedjake

Post by nakedjake » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:45 pm

Thanks guys, I've done a lot more reading up on this now and I've bought a couple of 5 pin Din to 3.5mm stereo jack cables. Not sure if it will work. Maybe I can put something together by rewiring the pins on the din to the jack differently.

Here's a link to what I bought. [ebay]380345520899
[/ebay]

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:35 am

That cable will not work. That cable is designed for car audio (5 pin DIN cables are common with European car stereos).

Roland DIN sync instruments use 24 pulses per quarter note. The Volca uses 1 pulse per 8th note.

As I suggested earlier, you're going to need a box that will convert various sync clocks and triggers.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:52 am

Buy this for $140 and your problem is solved:

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.