Juno 106 question regarding key action

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
visavis

Juno 106 question regarding key action

Post by visavis » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:52 am

When I press a key down and then unpress it back very slowly (around 5 seconds) often the key triggers the same note again after it travelled up a couple of millimeters. It happens more when pressing chords as more keys are involved. Is it a normal behaviour of 106's keyboard? My synth is recently serviced, keys from the outside look like they are on the right level and otherwise everything looks great. But I didn't notice such a problem with other synths.
I compared it with the action of Alpha Juno-2 - 106 has shorter travel before triggering the note (but the whole travel seems to be about the same), and JU-2 doesn't retrigger no matter how slow I play. Poly 800 shown some retriggering, but to much lesser extent than 106. On 106 retriggering doesn't shows if unpressing is fast, but it requires changes in the style of playing of slower passages and overall leads to unwanted notes while playing with regular speed.

mothone

Re: Juno 106 question regarding key action

Post by mothone » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:36 am

Have you noticed if this problem occours within only one half of the entire key range? Unfortunately Juno106s have become ever increasingly known for these things to happen.

visavis

Post by visavis » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:19 pm

No. Each key if thoroughly checked produces such effect. I feel It's like point of initial triggering is at 2/3 of whole key travel and unevenness (slight shaking of the fingers) in unpressing the key makes it trigger again. Usually keys on synths are triggered not at entire travel too but this problem is not as noticeable.

Again, I must note that if unpressing is fast, such effect doesn't occur.

Please tell more about problem with half of the keys, details if possible. Why not with all? How frequent it is? Is there a fix?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:41 pm

This is a common problem with old keyboards, IME especially Rolands. My JU60, a-JU, SH101 and SH2 all do this occasionally. The SH2 and JU60 being the worst offenders.

It's just dirty contacts of single keys. I also noticed the effect that it happens easier if you release the key very slowly, but I'm not entirely sure what to make of that. It still can happen if you release a key fast. In my case, playing those synths regularly remedies the situation. Try pressing a key that notoriously double-triggers a couple of dozen times - it should get less frequent...

visavis

Post by visavis » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:55 pm

Thanks for the tip, I'll play it more - I know that it was not played much in recent time and I stayed away from playing it more partly because of the said problem, partly because of it's placement in the room (have to reach that bit farther) and partly because I sequenced it instead of playing. And a-JU-2 which I compared to was and still is played by me a lot.
What makes me feel like problem might lie in some other place (like level of keys) is that all keys of 106 are currently behave the same and I know that key contacts of my a-JU-2 are not pristine - one of the keys occasionally gives out louder full velocity sounds which is a sign that contact should be cleaned and still it has no problem with retriggering no matter how slow I release it (I must intentionally and visibly shake hands to make something similar).
On a-JU-2 it's like travel has several zones
-----(1) key fully released
---(2)almost released - note released, you can press key again and it will trigger note when needed height reached
-(3)in this area of travel sustain still plays
---(4)here attack of the note happens
-(5)some travel before key fully stops
---(6)bottom of the keybed, key stops - I assume aftertouch is highest here (if works).

And on 106 (4) and (2) are at the same heights so when you hovering in that zone it retriggers notes.
But a-JU-2 has (had) aftertouch, so perhaps it's keyboard was developed wth slower release in mind.
Anyways I'll change the placing of the synth and see how it will change it's behaviour with more frequent playing.
Last edited by visavis on Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:35 pm

Strange stuff. I'd first try hitting every key that double-triggers a couple of dozen times or so (the more the better) and see if that changes anything.

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:01 pm

Maybe worth taking the keyboard out and giving it a good clean..seems to solve most problems I find.
Roland Vp330 mk1.SH101.juno 6.OSCar.ARP odyssey..Tonus 2600..omni.
ms20/50. OBX.
Prophet 5
Wasp.EMS AKS.