Basic time envelope question

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Neo_dams

Basic time envelope question

Post by Neo_dams » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:09 pm

Hi there,

Basic question but important one !

Which parameter of the enveloppe does the midi note length affect?

I noticed that if i put a very short sustain the note length seems more effective am i right?

Damien.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Basic time envelope question

Post by pflosi » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:15 pm

Look at it veeery closely and think again:

Hint: sustain is not a time parameter.

db0451

Re: Basic time envelope question

Post by db0451 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:16 pm

Basic, yes. Available in almost any introductory guide to envelopes, yes!

Which parameter does the MIDI note length affect? All of them. Note length is defined as time between note-on and note-off events, for which gate time is a synonym. Note-on begins the attack phase of the envelope, progresses while the note is held through the decay phase, and settles at the sustain level until note-off. Upon which the release phase begins. If note-off is received before the sustain phase, whichever phase was reached jumps directly to release.

Some envelopes have 'sub-phases' within these categories or ways to loop or rules or whatever, but that is the general explanation, which is largely applicable to all envelopes. Constructively, I would recommend considerably more background reading rather than asking questions like this. Not that anyone is unwilling to help, but this is reinventing the wheel.