Akai X7000 - no system disks, now what?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Akai X7000 - no system disks, now what?

Postby coastalscrub » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:46 am

Hello, new member here from the SF Bay Area.

I bought an Akai X7000 for $10 at a swap meet recently. I set about successfully fixing the QuickDisk drive and I purchased some used Roland Quick Disks off of eBay to test it. I've read that the X7000 won't do much without a system disk. What options do I have aside from what I'm doing now, which is waiting for someone to offer the system disk for sale on eBay? I have an Akai AX60 (and an AX73...) so I really am looking forward to messing about with linking it up to the X7000...

Any suggestions? Thanks.
coastalscrub

Re: Akai X7000 - no system disks, now what?

Postby White » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:15 pm

Hi

I bought an Akai X7000 in the eighties and again in the nineties. I never had a system disk with mine and it work perfectly. Now I think the S900 needs a system disk Are you sure you're not getting mixed up that?
Duncan J. White + quite a few synths
http://www.myspace.com/stickman76590059
White

Gear: Quite a few synths

Postby coastalscrub » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:48 am

Thanks for the info, White. I have a stack of used Roland Quick Disks. One of my mistakes was not to put a piece of tape over the popped-out tabs. When I put one into the disk drive it's making all sorts of noise and the readout is glitching too. I wasn't able to sample anything to save in the first place anyway. I may just look for a working S900 or S950 instead of wrestling with this one...

Thanks again!
coastalscrub

Postby White » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:24 am

Sounds like the drive belt has given up. When you say the LCD readout is glitching, does it freeze up?
Duncan J. White + quite a few synths
http://www.myspace.com/stickman76590059
White

Gear: Quite a few synths

Return to HELP!