DrumTraks--Jumpy buttons and pots

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

DrumTraks--Jumpy buttons and pots

Post by Walter Ego » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:00 pm

So...I got a good deal on a DrumTraks. Cosmetically, it's been preserved pretty well. However, the pots are pretty jumpy (so that parameter values also jump), and the buttons on the front panel don't all work. They seem to be intermittent and some don't work. It skips over a rather important sequencer setting all together.

I have not opened the unit up yet. Is it probably just a matter of careful cleaning, or do the pads under the buttons go bad and need replacement? Just looking for someone with experience with 30+ year old Sequential gear to shed some light.

Thanks!
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

plus321

Re: DrumTraks--Jumpy buttons and pots

Post by plus321 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:03 pm

The drum pads look like the ones on the sp-12 and dx. They can be cleaned. Pop the cap off and you can see the switch mechanism and clean the contact. (Be careful not to bend the 'arm' that makes contact or it won't work right again and it is not easy to fix)

On the sp-12 all the other buttons can cleaned like this too, even the numbers and etc. Maybe the drumtracks is similar?

CommanderSander

Post by CommanderSander » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:52 pm

Got nearly the same problem here. Pots probably need to be cleaned and first three drum sounds get triggered multiple times per push or not at all.
Did you find a way to solve your problem? Were you able to pop off the button caps easily? Or should I remove the upper PCB board on the inside to reach the contacts?

ras_claat

Post by ras_claat » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:49 am

I'd be interested to know if you managed to pop the lids off the buttons - I had the multi/non-triggering problem with an important button myself and couldn't work out how to do it in a way which felt like it wasn't going to split the plastic. I ended up taking a lesser-used button from somewhere else on the machine and swapping with the one which was causing problems, which was a 5 minute job.