Troubleshooting&Repairing ElectronicMusic Synthesizers ebook

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Troubleshooting&Repairing ElectronicMusic Synthesizers ebook

Post by Yekuku » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:27 am

Back in '92 there was a book titled: Troubleshooting and Repairing Electronic Music Synthesizers By Delton T. Horn
http://www.amazon.com/Troubleshooting-R ... 0830639217
Is it a good read ?
I cant find a scanned version anywhere, I doubt if it was ever released as an ebook.
Any insights would be appreciated.
It is all about sharing...

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: Troubleshooting&Repairing ElectronicMusic Synthesizers e

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:39 am

Never saw that, but I'm interested.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:04 am

I have a softcover. It is a helpful guidebook in developing strategies to troubleshoot specific problems. But it is very generalized throughout, obviously not specific to any synthesizer. With exception to the Software Problems chapter it uses some digital synths like the DX100 as example. But it addresses older analog synths and digital as well. When some background is required the book gives good introduction to those topics. Amazon does not have a table of contents online. Here are the general sections:

Part I: Analog Synthesizers 1. Inside an analog synthesizer 2. General troubleshooting techniques 3. Problems with VCOs 4. Problems with VCFs 5. Problems with VCAs 6. Problems with control voltage sources 7. Problems in other analog synthesizer modules

Part II: Digital Synthesizers 8 Inside a digital synthesizer 9. Software problems 10. Hardware problems 11. MIDI 12. Modifying synthesizers.

My feeling about the book is it is too general to be your only resource, but it is a very helpful guide. You will need other resources for basic electronics, power supply design, and other troubleshooting manuals to help formulate effective strategies. As with anything, troubleshooting requires a lot of practice and patience. The more experience you acquire, the better the process will go.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:36 am

I remember a discussion on AH about this book and as I recall there were quite a few technical errors made in the book...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:03 pm

The utility of a book like that depends on how many synths you plan on maintaining yourself ;)

Seems to me the first source is always the mfr's service manual because you need schematics, layout drawings and part IDs. Then there's general electronics troubleshooting techniques, like when there is no power start with the power supply :lol:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Yekuku

Post by Yekuku » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:34 pm

Thank you all for your input , I deeply appreciate it.
I am mostly interested in this specific book because I am planning on buying it but since it is quite expensive, I would like to hear some opinions first about it. If you have any other related book recommendations , please let me know.
So far I have enjoyed reading Music Synthesizers - A Manual Of Design & Construction By Delton T.Horn
Also by the same author, I have also enjoyed Oscillators simplified with 61 projects, although it is not synthesizer specific.
By the way does anybody know who Delton T.Horn was and if he played a role in the synthesizer industry?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:36 pm

Excellent links, thank you!

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:21 pm

I would also like to add books like this can be somewhat misleading. The first step to troubleshooting should not be opening the case and prodding around inside. I have fixed problems on an MC-505 by updating the operating system, doing software calibrations on a Matrix-6, and DX-21 audio output problem by simply editing the patch, and output problem on E-mu E-Synth by changing the global output configuration. I also think of the synths like the XP-50 that had numerous issues fixed by replacing the lithium coin battery.

I also mentioned knowing power supplies. Faults in power supplies can create all sorts of strangely unrelated symptoms. It is important to rule out the power supply first and foremost. Mr. Horn's book only mentions power supply faults at the end of the analog and digital sections.

Yekuku

Post by Yekuku » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:56 pm

Many thanks for your insights Garranimal, the book was released at the end of the analog era, so I was hoping to find some more advanced stuff about analog synths, like SSM/CEM failure symptoms, information about Roland/Yamaha/ Korg custom IC's , notes on servicing early synths like EMS/EML/Moog/SEM/ARP , calibration techniques etc. Troubleshooting power supplies and digital components is none of my interests.
I think i will have to pass this one , I would like to have a preview but it seems that it was never released in PDF.

plus321

Post by plus321 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:39 pm

I got this book out of the library. Looks cool. Pretty general ideas. I'm going to read it a little while and see if it's good.