Korg Poly 61 not working after replacing battery help!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
wolfox

Korg Poly 61 not working after replacing battery help!

Post by wolfox » Sat May 16, 2015 10:56 pm

I just replaced the battery on my poly 61, and the synth no longer functions correctly. The oscillators and waveforms don't work properly and don't change octaves, although they do register on the digital display. Everything else seems to be ok and the new battery seems to hold memory. I am pretty sure I connected everything back the way it was, so what could be the issue? I don't know much about fixing synths but any advice would really help. Thanks
Last edited by wolfox on Mon May 18, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

princefan3

Re: Korg Poly 61 not working after replacing battery help!

Post by princefan3 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:06 pm

Would be a great question to answer as I have a 61 and was wondering the same...No leak as yet but the battery doesn't look 30 plus years old.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sun May 17, 2015 8:15 pm

When it's open, and you play notes. Does each voice card's LED light?

wolfox

Post by wolfox » Mon May 18, 2015 12:30 am

Yes, all voices light up. It was working perfectly before installing the new battery and there was no leakage from the old battery anywhere on the board. Is there like a cpu reset function or should I try to reload the patches via tape and see if it will self correct? I really like this synth..so I gotta fix this somehow.

Basically it sounds like it's stuck on a higher octave and switching octaves just affects volume. Wave forms don't sound right either, and osc 2 doesn't seem to work at all, but the pitch interval does work. What else can I do to troubleshoot?

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon May 18, 2015 12:45 am

Honestly sounds like a cable is not connected all the way after you worked on it. If each voice is doing this, I don't think it's an actual voice issue. Are you able to change pitches with the bender, or the arpeggiator set to 2 octave?

wolfox

Post by wolfox » Mon May 18, 2015 1:09 am

Yeah, the pitch bender works and all arpegg settings do as well. Ok, I'm going to try and make sure everything is properly connected again and hopefully that's all it is, thanks.

Synthetech

Post by Synthetech » Mon May 18, 2015 12:46 pm

reload your patches.

I've seen many synths that have lost all their patch memory do really strange things like you have described until you reload it.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon May 18, 2015 2:44 pm

But why would he not be able to edit the existing patches octaves if that was the issue? You never know with these things though. Worth a shot.

wolfox

Post by wolfox » Mon May 18, 2015 11:30 pm

FIXED!!! I tried reloading the patches and that didn't solve it, so then I noticed that one of the large connectors was not on properly. One of the wires was not lined up with the metal pin, so I reconnected it properly and everything sounded as it should. I'm so relieved. Really appreciate the help!

Princefan3 or anyone having the same issue, it's the large connector (#11), make sure the pins are all lined up with the wires. It's easy to overlook.