Kawai K3, 1 out of every 6 notes gone

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
lexefmobius

Kawai K3, 1 out of every 6 notes gone

Post by lexefmobius » Wed May 20, 2015 7:54 am

Hey VSE people. Tad embarassed about my first post being a cry for help... but I'll try and contribute in some other way soon!

Recently got a Kawai K3m (rackmount), and after a few weeks it's started to get a problem. For about half an hour everything will be working fine, then for about another half an hour, it'll start to click and crackle, and then 1 out of every 6 semitones (up and down the scale) will stop working, and I just get a light clicking sound when pressing the faulty notes. After a while it'll start to crackle again, and come back for a bit.

I'm probably out of my depth here, but seeing as it's a 6 note poly, I'm guessing it's one of the voices gone? Say you turn the synth on, and press a note, that note will work, then the second note you press will become to the faulty note, along with every 6 semitones up and down the keyboard. Until you press 6 notes at once, and the set of dud note changes (something about how it allocates the poly?)

Again... out of my depth here probably, but I was looking at the schematic, and wondering whether it'ld be a mad idea for me to open it up, try fine the vca / vcf circuits (there's 6 of them?), and put a multimeter on components on each channel to check for voltages as the notes are playing. Perhaps I could find one where the voltage is missing, and then trace it back to a faulty connection or component?

Anyway, I'd love to get this fixed soon, I just love it. Love the sound. Love it's grit and quirks.

Any help or ideas very appreciated...

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Kawai K3, 1 out of every 6 notes gone

Post by pflosi » Wed May 20, 2015 8:34 am

Congrats, nice synth! Mine needs TLC too, I think the PSU is down on mine... Oh and welcome to the forum!

Could be the battery that needs replacement... That's what I'd check first.

Good luck!

lexefmobius

Post by lexefmobius » Wed May 20, 2015 8:49 am

Cheers! And yes, its a beauty for sure...

I'm gathering that as everything else is working on it fine.. its unlikely the battery. Could be wrong, but the whole 'crackling then a voice dissapears' makes me think its a voice problem...

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Wed May 20, 2015 9:41 am

Are you sure it's consistently on the 6th voice? That would indicate a bad chip indeed. In that case I'd check the six SSM 2044 chips with a multimeter.

lexefmobius

Post by lexefmobius » Wed May 20, 2015 9:47 am

Well I just know its every 6 semitones... which every 6 semitones depends on which key youve pressed first when you switch it on. Or if you press 6 notes at once.

Tbh i dont know what ild be doing with a multimeter and the chips. I was just gonna look for missing voltages in an effort to find the faulty channel.

Out of my depth here probably gotta take it to a repair shop. Just worried its gonna take a long time and be very expensive.

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Wed May 20, 2015 4:23 pm

I'm almost sure you have a dying SSM2044 or BA6110 chip. These are usually in sockets, so repair should not be too hard. Depending on the calibration procedure, you can probably do this yourself if you are able to find the chip. Search for the service manual, http://www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/Kawa ... MANUAL.pdf. There is likely a test mode that will allow you to identify the bad voice and chip. You can also see whether the calibration is something you can do.

lexefmobius

Post by lexefmobius » Wed May 20, 2015 7:24 pm

Wow... calibration? I thought it might just be a chip replacement!

I'm clearly way out of my depth here. Better take it to the repair shop :)

I've noticed a few other little things. Little pops and clicks that I'm sure shouldn't be there. So perhaps they could give the whole thing a look over...

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Wed May 20, 2015 9:35 pm

If you take it there, tell them to check the PSU too. Mine just died one day :( And pops and clicks could be an indicator...

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Thu May 21, 2015 3:34 pm

vintage polysynths often develop intermittent problems like this. this is why we feel its essential to do several thorough burn in tests before determining that items are fully functional as its quite common for components to fail either when they're cold or when they've warmed up. unfortunately, most sellers just power their items on for a few minutes, hear them making sound, and state that they're working. if the voice stays dead after warmup, it shouldn't be too hard to troubleshoot. good luck!
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

UnbalancedKarma
Gear: Ensoniq: SD-1/32
Kawai: K1m, K3, K4r, K5
Oberheim: DPX-1, OB-12
Quasimidi: Raven Max, Sirius
Siel: Mono
Band: Unbalanced Karma

Post by UnbalancedKarma » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:58 am

happened the same to me... one of the filters is gone. it's an ssm2044, you can find 'em on the bay...
balancing Karma with Music.

seizman

Post by seizman » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:43 pm

lexefmobius wrote:
Wed May 20, 2015 7:54 am
Hey VSE people. Tad embarassed about my first post being a cry for help... but I'll try and contribute in some other way soon!

Recently got a Kawai K3m (rackmount), and after a few weeks it's started to get a problem. For about half an hour everything will be working fine, then for about another half an hour, it'll start to click and crackle, and then 1 out of every 6 semitones (up and down the scale) will stop working, and I just get a light clicking sound when pressing the faulty notes. After a while it'll start to crackle again, and come back for a bit.

I'm probably out of my depth here, but seeing as it's a 6 note poly, I'm guessing it's one of the voices gone? Say you turn the synth on, and press a note, that note will work, then the second note you press will become to the faulty note, along with every 6 semitones up and down the keyboard. Until you press 6 notes at once, and the set of dud note changes (something about how it allocates the poly?)

Again... out of my depth here probably, but I was looking at the schematic, and wondering whether it'ld be a mad idea for me to open it up, try fine the vca / vcf circuits (there's 6 of them?), and put a multimeter on components on each channel to check for voltages as the notes are playing. Perhaps I could find one where the voltage is missing, and then trace it back to a faulty connection or component?

Anyway, I'd love to get this fixed soon, I just love it. Love the sound. Love it's grit and quirks.

Any help or ideas very appreciated...

hi there i have the exact same problem, did you pls find the solution? thank you. mario

seizman

Post by seizman » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:37 pm

has anyone please solved this? i heard one voice might be turned off and keep it playable with 5-voice polyphony, but cannot find any info about that. or other solution anyone? thanks a lot. mario