Is it Worth Repairing these Juno-60s?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Caisleyn
Gear: Roland Juno 60
Roland Space Echo RE-201
Novation BassStation II
Alesis Micron

Is it Worth Repairing these Juno-60s?

Post by Caisleyn » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:26 am

I am looking to buy a Juno 60. Fully pristine units often go for over $1400 on eBay, where as one with a couple broken parts usually goes for around $1000 or less. Is it worth buying these broken ones to save money, assuming I'm willing to fix them up? Or should I just stick to buying one in better shape? Perfect cosmetic condition isn't super important to me, in fact I like something that's a little beat up, but I would be replacing any broken switches or keys etc. Would I be losing money and time by trying to repair a defunct unit?

Here are some examples of the "broken" ones I'm talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Roland- ... 41993c1657

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-Juno-60- ... 4880f01e29

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-Juno-60- ... 4d3511a6f9

Any advice is appreciated!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Is it Worth Repairing these Juno-60s?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:19 am

$1000 for a non-functional Juno is nuts. They're not worth more than $1000 fully working, they're one of the most over-priced synths out there at the moment.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:43 am

All three are crapshoots because they are auctions. One is completely untested (translate: it's hosed), one needs keybed work ($$$), the last one is already at $1000, needs two switches replaced and is listed "no returns".

I wouldn't bid on any of them.

If you really want a 60, just be patient and wait for one that is 100% functional.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

natrixgli
Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Post by natrixgli » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:51 am

A Juno 60 sells for $1400??? That seems awfully high.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:06 am

Yep, stupid price. There are plenty of better synths out there that are a lot cheaper, but require more than five minutes to figure out. Hence the stupid.

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:00 pm

And they keep selling at those stupid prices, because people cave in and pay those stupid prices, so they will just get more and more expensive. Just saw one from the local GC disappear; was 1500...
I like vintage synths....

Caisleyn
Gear: Roland Juno 60
Roland Space Echo RE-201
Novation BassStation II
Alesis Micron

Post by Caisleyn » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:41 am

Alright, thanks all for the advice. Do you have any recommendations for alternative synthesizers available at similar/lower prices? I'm looking for something that can produce rich pad and string type sounds full of character. I'm not a die hard analog synth lover, but physical controllers as opposed to menu diving is a must.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:33 pm

At that price I would be looking at a DSI Mopho x4. You can get lost in that synth it's quite deep, but it's still easy to get a good sound out of it without much effort. Lots of character.

I think they're overpriced, but the Access Virus range sound good although I don't like the UI.

Nord Lead 4 and Lead A1 sound good, the UI is not great, only 2 oscillators per voice (there is layer on the 4 though) and overpriced IMO.

For less money:
If you can find one used, a Novation KS Rack sounds great and probably has the best UI of any VA IMO. I got mine for €200! Main encoder often breaks but they will send you a new one for free. Ditto for the SuperNovas, more synthesis power but they seem to be overpriced used.

Novation UltraNova probably sounds even better because it's an update of the SuperNova engine, the UI is apparently good even though it's not as knobby as the KS. I haven't tried one yet. Lots of character in their VAs, thanks to Chris Hugget of OSC Oscar fame :)

Roland JDXi is also worth a listen/ look.

Other used synths that I like: Korg MS2000 (fun), Yamaha AN1x (a classic at this stage), Alesis Ion (Filter heaven), Nord Lead 3 (with the illuminated controls, looks yum works beautifully).

PolyMTL
Gear: AKAI AX73
ROLAND JUNO-6
YAMAHA CS-15
YAMAHA CS-50

Post by PolyMTL » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:04 am

I have to admit: it's a lot of money. The thing is, the Juno (6 and 60) are just great synths. Beyond the hype, there is a real MUSICAL instrument that is such a joy to play and edit. I actually compose a lot more on that synth than more complicated/fancy ones :)