Casio FZ-1 display replacement part

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
qwedsaasd

Casio FZ-1 display replacement part

Post by qwedsaasd » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:29 am

Hello, I have FZ-1 with severely damaged carbon ribbon cables leading to the LCD, I have tried to craft replacement cables and resolder existing ones but nothing made it work. Does anyone know where I could source replacement display PCB for it?
Last edited by qwedsaasd on Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robber1956
Gear: Yamaha DX100,DX21,FB-01,TX81z,TX802,TX7,YS100,TQ5
Casio FZ1,FZ10m
Roland MT32,D110, D-05

Re: Casio FZ-1 display

Post by Robber1956 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:14 am

qwedsaasd wrote:Hello, I have FZ-1 with severely damaged carbon ribbon cables leading to the LCD, I have tried to craft replacement cables and resolder existing ones but nothing made it work. Does anyone know where I could source replacement display PCB for it?

Same here, when I tried to get a new EL backlicht panel in, in which I succeeded, some lines broke. Top and middle lines are garbled. Still readable. Afraid to touch it now. In a year or so I wll have to change te EL again. I'm not gonna do that. Don't think there is a solution. Only thing is to get another complete FZ1 (or Hohner-HS1) from from Ebay or anywhere which has a fully working display but these are becoming very rare.
The stupid thing is that I bought a replacement kit because everything was broken, tabs, display, floppy drive (replaced by the HxC Rev SD floppy emulator, a must for every FZ owner), and this new one I got from Ebay was working fine and looking good but these EL panels only last for 3000 hours. I should have put leds behind, but I can't find the right optical diffuser like they use for backlit lcd displays that will be thin enough to slid into the frame. The thickness is always 3mm but they should be 2mm at most. That means getting the display out of the frame. It will damage the connections for sure. Mending this is like trying to get a broken egg together in one piece again.

Jaytee

Post by Jaytee » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:22 am

This doesn't solve your problem at all, but I'm on the hunt for a non-functioning Casio FZ unit for parts. If you decide to sell, shoot me a PM first plz.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:50 am

Change the title of the post to "replacement part for Casio FZ-1 display", you might get more tips. I'd be interested in a solution too. Just bought an FZ-1 that needs the EL foil replaced. I've done it on the VZ-10M in the past, it was straightforward.

qwedsaasd

Post by qwedsaasd » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:35 pm

madtheory wrote:Just bought an FZ-1 that needs the EL foil replaced. I've done it on the VZ-10M in the past, it was straightforward.
Yea, the backlights are easy to find unlike actual displays. Be careful not to damage the ribbon cables though, they are really fragile.