Roland JX8p- shutting off after power up

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Roland JX8p- shutting off after power up

Postby Ep7735 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:58 pm

We purchased a jx8p at a yard sale today and on the second use, it randomly shut off. Now it powers up sometimes but will shut off within the first few minutes. From my research it seems I need to "recap" which involves soldering. I found the service manual. It also seems I need a voltmeter although I'm not sure why. Also, I don't know where I can buy caps, although they sound inexpensive. I'm wondering if anyone could help me find a place to buy the caps and explain what I'll be looking for with the voltmeter. advice appreciated! Thank you
Ep7735

Re: Roland JX8p- shutting off after power up

Postby ekosynth » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:09 pm

It sounds like you're inexperienced in electronics repair. If that's the case I wouldn't attempt this yourself. Do you have a knowledgable friend who could help? It can be dangerous working on the insides of synths if you're not careful with the mains voltages.

The JX-8P will shut off like you're seeing if the power supply is short circuited. I've seen this before when I stored mine in a flight case in a damp room. If you suspect it's been in a damp environment I'd suggest drying it out inside for a while.

This other post suggests dry joints on the PSU board:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51375

Either way the power supply board is the likely source of your troubles. You would need a voltmeter to measure the output of the power rails +15V, -15v, +5v, and +7V (unregulated, so it will appear to be jumping around 7v on a voltmeter). If the voltages are not present then you know there is a problem with your PSU.
ekosynth

Re: Roland JX8p- shutting off after power up

Postby zaphod betamax » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:37 pm

Mine did the same. Replace the 7805 voltage regulator, but first check all harnesses.
Mine was the 7805.

Ep7735 wrote:We purchased a jx8p at a yard sale today and on the second use, it randomly shut off. Now it powers up sometimes but will shut off within the first few minutes. From my research it seems I need to "recap" which involves soldering. I found the service manual. It also seems I need a voltmeter although I'm not sure why. Also, I don't know where I can buy caps, although they sound inexpensive. I'm wondering if anyone could help me find a place to buy the caps and explain what I'll be looking for with the voltmeter. advice appreciated! Thank you
zaphod betamax

Return to HELP!