recording BANK change (for program change) into DAW for korg

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
bodacious

recording BANK change (for program change) into DAW for korg

Post by bodacious » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:36 pm

does anybody know how to do this? I'm newbie at DAW and MAC, trying to record a prgrm change for my external dinosaur korg nx5r hooked up to Studio One. I know to put a MDW or LDW or whatever just before the program change, but it's not changing my bank (from default of GM-a to whatever (user program or combi's)

I checked my module, all seems set correct. tried figuring out on the personus forums/manual.....

Sonus

Re: recording BANK change (for program change) into DAW for

Post by Sonus » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:28 am

Last edited by Sonus on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:37 pm

As a general rule, for bank changes you need the MIDI documentation from the instrument mfr.

The actual bank numbers used are seldom 1, 2, 3, etc (see the post above: 56, 81, 89?). I have no idea why.

If there is a GM bank it is always bank 0 for compliance.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

bodacious

Post by bodacious » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:16 pm

Cool, thanx, hopefully I'll be able to figure out eventually. I wonder what it means when some banks have the MSB # but for the LSB it only has xx or similar? I guessing that means "nothing" for that. I seem to remember my older mc-50 was just the msg then "tick" or next possible time after that the program number.

I'll fire it up and pull up old sequence and check (used with same synth module I'm using now)
Plus, I know I have the manual somewhere here with those msg numbers written down.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:09 pm

Bank changes use CC #0 (MSB) and #32 (LSB). In fact all the CCs from 0 to 31 are MSBs while 32 to 63 are the matching LSBs. After a bank change, all program changes (0-127) are interpreted as being in that bank. If only the MSB is sent then it is interpreted that the LSB is the same value as previously, if only the LSB is sent then it is interpreted that the MSB is the same value as previously (see the Yamaha example below). To be 100% safe, always send all three (MSB, LSB, PC).

In case you don't know, MSB means Most Significant Byte, LSB is Least Significant Byte. Two bytes allows selecting 65,536 banks which should be enough for anyone ;)

I don't know why that Korg charts shows "--" for the LSB instead of 0, maybe it means it doesn't matter what the value is. I would enter 00 just to be safe.

Here's an example of where the LSB does matter, this is for a Yamaha Motif XF. Notice they use an MSB of 63 for all banks except the GM banks, while Korg uses a different MSB for each bank. It's totally up to the mfr which is why you need the documentation.

GM (MSB=0, LSB=0) <---- required by GM spec
Drum GM (MSB=127, LSB=0) <---- required by GM spec
PRE 1 (MSB=63, LSB=0)
PRE 2 (MSB=63, LSB=1)
PRE 3 (MSB=63, LSB=2)
PRE 4 (MSB=63, LSB=3)
PRE 5 (MSB=63, LSB=4)
PRE 6 (MSB=63, LSB=5)
PRE 7 (MSB=63, LSB=6)
PRE 8 (MSB=63, LSB=7)
USR 1 (MSB=63, LSB=8)
USR 2 (MSB=63, LSB=9)
USR 3 (MSB=63, LSB=10)
USR 4 (MSB=63, LSB=11)
Drum Preset (MSB=63, LSB=32) <---- jumps from 11 to 32
Drum User (MSB=63, LSB=40) <---- jumps from 32 to 40

Since the numbers are stored in binary, the drum banks do make sense: the LSBs are 00010000 (32) and 00011000 (40) so the microprocessor can simply check bit 4 to know it's a drum bank and bit 3 to know which one. The USR 4 bank LSB is 00001011, so all of the non-drum banks will have bit 4 cleared (0).

Meanwhile the DSI Evolver is much simpler (no GM bank) and actually makes perfect sense:

MSB is ignored
LSB is 0, 1, 2, or 3
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

bodacious

Post by bodacious » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:43 pm

Thanx. I loaded old sequence into mc-50 and see I just needed to send cc0, then program right after it.
NOW i just have to figure out how to do that in my daw I'm trying to learn! studio one artist 2

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:12 pm

You're on your own now since the only way to access the manual is from within the DAW itself.

I hate mfrs who do that :pissed: