UK to US Power Converters for Akai S01 Sampler

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Lovecraft

UK to US Power Converters for Akai S01 Sampler

Post by Lovecraft » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:24 am

Hi all...

Just purchased an Akai S01 Sampler from the UK. It's in excellent shape but I believe I'll need a power converter. The UK uses a 220-240/50hz while the US uses a standard (for us) 120/60hz (at least according to my other S01 Sampler) I own.

My question... Since this is something I never had to contend with before is where do I get and what type of converter do I need to get to make this Sampler work? Either that or it's DOA which I hope isn't the case since it's in great condition.

Can someone offer some assistance as to a converter I need to purchase?

Thanks in advance!

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Re: UK to US Power Converters for Akai S01 Sampler

Post by Reginator » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:11 am

Don't feed it the wrong voltage, that could damage something inside the Akai. I use a Goldsource voltage converter for my MicroWave. It steps up and steps down a variety of voltages: 110/117/120V AC to 220/230/240V AC and vice versa.

Goldsource ST500

I have two of these, one for the studio and one for my office. There's other models and manufacturers but this works great for my needs. At least this will give you a place to start looking for what might work for you.

Cheers!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:58 pm

Yes that one looks like very good value. Enough power to run several devices- handy if you buy any more stuff from the US.

Maplin sell 35W step down only transformers, about €40 last time I checked.

Lovecraft

Post by Lovecraft » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:14 am

Reginator wrote:Don't feed it the wrong voltage, that could damage something inside the Akai. I use a Goldsource voltage converter for my MicroWave. It steps up and steps down a variety of voltages: 110/117/120V AC to 220/230/240V AC and vice versa.

Goldsource ST500

I have two of these, one for the studio and one for my office. There's other models and manufacturers but this works great for my needs. At least this will give you a place to start looking for what might work for you.

Cheers!

Thanks.... I think this looks like a good place to start. I don't usually important electronics or gear from outside the US but it seemed like a good deal and in excellent condition. I hope this is the solution. Thanks for the point in the right direction. I'll get back to let you know how it works out. I just hope someone didn't send me a DOA unit.

-Lovecraft

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Post by Reginator » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:20 am

Good deal Lovecraft! Hopefully a voltage converter is all you'll need.