ELEX K4 STRING MACHINE

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Ludivine Cypher
Gear: Korg MS-20, Korg X-911, KORG Lambda, Korg Delta, Korg MS-04, Roland JUNO 60, Yamaha CP-25, Hohner Pianet T, Roland JUNO Alpha, Roland SH-09 and more
Band: Odessey & Oracle

ELEX K4 STRING MACHINE

Post by Ludivine Cypher » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:42 pm

Hi,

Very fond of old String Machine I picked this specimen labeled Italian ELEX also known as :
> ELEX K4 STRING MACHINE
> HOHNER STRINGER (the latter contained an internal power supply)
> Elgam STRING SET
http://sounddoctorin.com/synthtec/hohner/strings.htm
The machine seemed in pretty decent condition but the external power supply was missing. At the rear, an "exotic" port, probably intended to connect the external power supply and a volume pedal (see photo).
After internal inspection of the beast and extensive research on the internet, impossible to find schematics and nothing is written inside, impossible to know the incoming current values to build it a new power supply…

Has anyone a schematics of them or, failing that, does the owner of one of these models would kindly address me the tensions at the entrance?
Thanks a lot for your help !
Guillaume

Guillaume

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Re: ELEX K4 STRING MACHINE

Post by Broadwave » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:18 am

Hi Guillaume,

I also have one of these on my shelf ready for fixing up ;)

There are two versions of this stringer - one with the PSU built in, and the other (like ours) has the PSU/Foot pedal built into an external unit, I'm also missing mine.

This is the only schematic I have for the Elex/Hohner K4.

The PSU connections are shown on page 6 ;) I hope you find it useful.

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Re: ELEX K4 STRING MACHINE

Post by adamstan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:55 pm

Today I received a package that contained another version of this stringer - "String-Orchestra mod. 4" (and that would suggest it was rebadged by Farfisa). It is in pretty good shape, but lacks the PSU cable - that's why I got it very cheap :D

ImageImage
ImageImage

It works, however it has some noise issues - there is realy strong LFO crosstalk from chorus. Probably there are some bad capacitors, and this is the sound of DC offset + noise + AC hum modulated by chorus? Or some clock crosstalk due to poor supply voltage filtering?

Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)