Analog Gear Setup

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
babaribou

Analog Gear Setup

Post by babaribou » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:48 pm

Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out how to set up my gear in order to record the stuff I make, but as I am new to the world of midi (and to the whole recording sphere as well) I am having some doubts about what I think should be the good way to set things up.

Here is what I would like to connect in order to record:
-Roland MC-500 Sequencer (2 midi outputs)
-Poly 800
-DX7
-EPS Sampler
-Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine
-Electribe ER-1 Drum Machine
-Mackie Mixer (CR1604)
- a potential soundcard to connect to my mac

As I understood during my research, it is better to split the instruments on the 2 outputs (to reduce the latency I believe, which seems logical) from the sequencer.

In my drawing, the black lines would represent the 1/4' lines (outputs from the instruments to mixer inputs) and the green ones the midi.
Would that be a correct way to configure it ? One question remains though is that if I want to record in step sequencing, would I have to plug everything back into the sequencer ? Because it only has one midi in so the would be problematic if I split my gear on the 2 outputs I suppose. I am kind of lost as you can probably tell.

Also, I do not have an audio interface yet. I own an Mbox Pro 2 since a couple of years, but just realized that there was no driver available for OSX Yosemite ( so I guess it is just no usable anymore ?) which sucks because I didnt need more than what it is (24 bits 96khz, firewire, might not be the best ai out there but well... would have been good to spare the extra money)
I just want to use my computer to record the tracks that I already make from my hardware, and I would use ableton to do so.
Any advice on a simple audio interface ? I guess that regarding my needs, I would just need one line entry and two outputs (one for my monitors and the other for a tape recorder that I would like to use... or should I just connect this directly from the mixer?)

Thanks,

Alex

http://imgur.com/fYxnipH

(sorry that I have to put the link of the image but when I try to insert it it doesnt show up for some reason)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Analog Gear Setup

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:26 pm

The diagram looks fine to me, I'm assuming you are using MIDI Thru connections.

Audio adapters: On a Mac you can choose USB or Firewire (or even Thunderbolt if your Mac is recent), the cheapest units will be USB.

Personally I would recommend a Focusrite interface, they have a number of inexpensive models. The Scarlett 2i2 will meet your needs for a simple stereo in, stereo out interface. Current US price is $150.

I would connect it to the mixer, no need to repatch things when you record.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

babaribou

Post by babaribou » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:29 pm

Hi, thanks for the answer.
meatballfulton wrote:The diagram looks fine to me, I'm assuming you are using MIDI Thru connections.
Yes, I will use the midi thru connections. However, one of my synth (the poly 800) only has midi in/out, no thru. I've read somewhere that using the in/out would act as a midi through, but I am not sure of that.
Do you have any idea on how I could record in step sequencing mode?
Concerning the audio interface this is actually what I was looking at with the Tascam us2x2.
They seem pretty similar. Don't know if one is better. I'll go take a look at them when I'll have a chance.

Thanks again

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:15 pm

babaribou wrote:Hi, thanks for the answer.

Yes, I will use the midi thru connections. However, one of my synth (the poly 800) only has midi in/out, no thru. I've read somewhere that using the in/out would act as a midi through, but I am not sure of that.
Those "soft thru" functions often add latency. Just put the Poly 800 at the end of the chain.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

babaribou

Post by babaribou » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:32 am

Oh ok good to know ! Thanks

Uncle Screwtape
Gear: Access Virus Indigo
Alesis ion
Arturia MiniBrute SE
DSI Mopho
Novation KS4
Vermona DRM1 MkIII
Roland TR-707
Korg DDD-5
Korg Volcas (4)
Band: Uncle Screwtape

Post by Uncle Screwtape » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:17 pm

babaribou wrote: Any advice on a simple audio interface ? I guess that regarding my needs, I would just need one line entry and two outputs (one for my monitors and the other for a tape recorder that I would like to use... or should I just connect this directly from the mixer?)
Just a thought… and you can take from it what you wish, but in my personal experience, I started out with a 2x2 interface, and found myself wanting more down the road. It didn't take long for me to find some limitations, and the need for more versatility.

Here's what I found:
• I wanted MIDI in to control software instruments, so I bought a USB keyboard controller.
• I wanted to multi-track my drums to apply effects and panning during final mixes.

After buying a $150 interface, and a $150 USB keyboard, I was $300 in and still unable to multi-track. At the time, the only "affordable" Firewire interface was $600, so the 2 pieces I had were my best option with my budget. Now an 8x8 interface with MIDI can be had for less than the combined price of those 2 items, adding the versatility of multi-tracking and opening up the MIDI control beyond just a keyboard (i.e. sequencer).

I'm not sure if Behringer is still frowned upon like they were years ago, but FWIW, they have a 16x16 (8x8 immediately usable in this case) Firewire interface for $250 here Behringer FCA1616. It meets all of your requirements, and also allows room for growth, which I did not do the first time around. If using one of these, you would bypass the mixer altogether when recording.
Your... affectionate uncle,
-Screwtape

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:56 pm

Uncle Screwtape wrote:I'm not sure if Behringer is still frowned upon like they were years ago, but FWIW, they have a 16x16 (8x8 immediately usable in this case) Firewire interface for $250 here Behringer FCA1616. It meets all of your requirements, and also allows room for growth, which I did not do the first time around. If using one of these, you would bypass the mixer altogether when recording.
I have my doubts about Behringer, but at that price, you may as well try it.

I should have added that this is where I want to get to eventually -- total in-the-box mixing. But I'd need to put more money in to get where I would want it -- another 12 channels or so of audio interface with some routing capability, and a decent control surface with some metering. For the short term, the Mackie suits the purpose.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!