Matching scales and patches

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
HappyFunTimes

Matching scales and patches

Post by HappyFunTimes » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:56 am

I tend to stick to the same 4 scales when I play, (still a beginner). One thing I have noticed is that different instrument types, or approximations seem better suited to certain scales. I haven't made an exhaustive study of this. This is just a personal observation. One scale might really sound great with strings, but sounds like c**p when you try to play a bass patch in the same scale, etc. I realize a synth is not a piano, and you can't play "piano style" for every patch. My question is does anyone know of a general theory about which scales work best for each broad category like brass, winds, bass, percussion, etc. Or, do you have a personal system that helps guide you in a general direction when you're experimenting? I will try to elaborate if that would help.

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Re: Matching scales and patches

Post by synthRodriguez » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:01 am

I think you mean different keys, not different scales.

Scales are just the theoretical shifts between notes for different musical modes, and the relationship between notes (whole steps and half-steps) don't change when going from key to key.

And yes, certain instruments excel when played in certain keys. If I write something say in the key of E-flat, depending on the instrument selection it might sound better in B-flat or A or somewhere else. I'll usually try different keys before settling in on one. It's all in the ear of the composer. Keys for songs played with guitars are written in E, A, and G a lot due to their tuning, so rock songs tend to be in those keys.

You need to practice in all the keys, and it's only something that comes with time and muscle memory. When I'm really playing a lot, I can usually transpose instantly between keys without difficulty, but I lose that skill if I don't play for a while.

I like to play in keys with lots of black notes as it just seems easier to me. I hate playing in C although I do have a couple of songs written there, as sometimes it works better for different reasons (the sound, fingering, slides, etc.).

Are you in a position to take a few piano lessons? Sounds like a dozen or so sessions with a teacher would do wonders for you.

HappyFunTimes

Post by HappyFunTimes » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:08 am

I'm not in a position to be taking any lessons. I've learned everything I know about music from the internet.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:12 am

Originally being a brass player, I used to mainly write in F or B flat. Once I started working with guitarists, I started writing more in A & E.

I just noodle around in lots of different keys until something starts to come together.

I tried to teach my ex (who can read music and play clarinet and guitar) basic theory, but I must not be a very good teacher since she couldn't grasp it. I learned scales as a brass player in middle school and high school and figured out theory on my own.

There's plenty of books out there on music theory and I'm sure there's even more online resources.

Just keep practicing scales.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:57 am

So HappyFunTImes do you mean keys, not scales? The Adler orchestration book is excellent on this topic, but only for orchestral instruments. That would be a great start for the ear though.

BrianAA13

Post by BrianAA13 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:46 am

It means you need to know the scales and the lessons. Music instruments are the one which provides the complete rest to the life. If you want any scales or patches matching, then you can have a visit here. All your issues will be solved. Also, scales, different lessons and the instrument's repairing are also done.