Oberheim OBXA Rear Outputs

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Fursten Lyne

Oberheim OBXA Rear Outputs

Post by Fursten Lyne » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:29 am

Hi,

I recently got an Oberheim OBXA. My question is, what do i need to do for stereo output? I see the left, mono and right jacks but not sure how to get it to play in both right and left speaker.

Thanks

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: Oberheim OBXA Rear Outputs

Post by madtheory » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:13 am

See page 18 of the user manual:

http://dl.lojinx.com/analoghell/Oberhei ... Manual.pdf

Assuming you're using a mixer, connect left and right outs to a stereo input, or use two mono inputs panned hard left and hard right. Inside the OBXa there are trimmers for panning each of the 8 voices. So they will move around as you play. I think it's a nice effect. I think the OB8 put these trimmers on the side panel for user adjustment. If you don't like how they're panned, just use the mono output panned centrally.

So are you using a mixer?

ScottMG

Post by ScottMG » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:06 pm

Assuming the OB-Xa has 8 voices (some have 4 or 6), each time you press a note, the next voice in turn will play. So if you opened the top panel to look inside (just take the top two screws off each of the wood sides and open the top lid) tapped one note repeatedly, you would see the next voice card LED light up. If you played a three note chord repeatedly you would see the voices play something like 123, 456, 781, 234, 567, 812, etc. This is important to know because there are two basic stereo modes you can set the OB-Xa up in and you want to know what voices are going where.

There is a large panning knob for each voice inside the OB-Xa, on the right and clearly labeled. If you are using the left and right outputs in the rear, you can pan each voice however you wish, hard left, middle, soft right, etc.

1. Spread stereo
Tune voices 1,3,5,7 left and 2,4,6,8 right. Using the spread stereo approach is nice for chords as different voices will be sent either left or right. Playing individual notes will shoot each note sequentially out the opposite speaker.

2. Dual mode
This is how the OB-Xa is setup from the factory (and how I have mine setup): 1,2,3,4 left and 5,6,7,8 right. This means, in dual or split mode, where the OB-Xa is essentially two 4 voice synths, they each have their own dedicated output (and the balance knob on the upper left can be used to adjust the volume between them). So you can use the synth to play two completely different sounds or you can also get very cool stereo pads or leads by pulling up the same patch for both.

NOTE:
If you are going into two mono channels on a mixer that allows panning, it makes sense to always hard pan the internal panning knobs since you can then adjust your synth to be anything from mono to soft stereo to hard stereo on the fly without ever having to re-adjust these internal knobs.

Scott.
Last edited by ScottMG on Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:33 pm

Happy (slightly belated) anniversary to this old post!

And ya, that's what I said already, and what the manual says on page 18.