Yamaha DX100 Changing Banks

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Yamaha DX100 Changing Banks

Postby iriscat » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:38 pm

My partner and I use a Yamaha DX100 to get basic piano/organ sounds for midi and cakewalk tracks that we use while performing. We know that the DX100 has 4 banks of sounds (instruments, voices, etc) So far we have been limited to using Bank A only.

Does anyone know how to change banks via midi on the DX100 so that we don't have to manually change the bank between songs in a set?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Iriscat
iriscat

Re: Yamaha DX100 Changing Banks

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:16 pm

The DX100 responds to MIDI program change messages from 0-119:

0-23: the preset bank
24-47: user bank 1
48-71: user bank 2
72-95: user bank 3
96-119: user bank 4
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby iriscat » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:50 pm

Thank you. I will try this out in the next few days.

Would you by any chance know how we can back up the voices, sounds, instruments etc onto a laptop. The manual which is old talks about backing up to a cassette. We are still using the original battery, which is so far hanging in there, but which one of these days will run out so we need to be able to back up our voices. Thank you so much.
Iriscat
iriscat

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:30 pm

First you need a program that can load and send sysex files. For Windows, get MIDI-OX and for Mac get Sysex Librarian.

Then from the DX100 manual, p. 23, 5. SYS INFO, follow the instructions on how to dump patches from the internal bank. To save or load patches for the 4 other banks, you have to transfer them in and out of the internal bank...hey, this is an early MIDI synth so it's kind of funky compared to modern hardware.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby truckwillis » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:32 pm

meatballfulton wrote:To save or load patches for the 4 other banks, you have to transfer them in and out of the internal bank...hey, this is an early MIDI synth so it's kind of funky compared to modern hardware.

Hey I know this post is from a year ago, but do you mean to say patches can be loaded into the 4 (a,b,c,d) banks via sysex librarian?? Allowing you to have more than just the 24 custom patches??
truckwillis

Return to HELP!