Roland RS-09 Popping Sound when playing keys

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
McSnellzy

Roland RS-09 Popping Sound when playing keys

Post by McSnellzy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:19 am

My Roland RS-09 recently started making a popping sound when a key is pressed. I've had it for over 10 years and I'm pretty sure it just started happening. Has anyone else experienced this before?

Here is a video so you know what I'm talking about.

It also makes the same sound when hitting the ensemble buttons.

The service manual is here.
http://www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/Rola ... _NOTES.pdf

It is not the keys themselves and I'm pretty sure it's not a grounding issue. Some of the caps on the Gate PCB look questionable but are in spec in and out of circuit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I need this for a gig coming up and this sound is driving me nuts!

HaziaJuno
Gear: Roland Juno 6
Roland SYSTEM-1
Yamaha DX7 mk1
Roland JX-8P
Roland JU-06
Korg MS2000
MicroKorg
Casio VL-TONE
Casio PT-50
Arturia Microbrute
Nintendo DMG
Band: Hāzia

Re: Roland RS-09 Popping Sound when playing keys

Post by HaziaJuno » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:09 pm

I've read threads to this effect before, and one thing I have seen suggested repeatedly is trying to adjust the envelope timing. I have no experience with the RS-09, but my experience with old Roland gear suggests there may very well be an internal trimpot especially for this purpose - if you tweak the attack on the envelope generator just a hair above the zero mark, it may soften the EG just enough to fix it.

The VCA may also be needing calibration, if there is a trimpot to adjust that, try playing some notes while making adjustments to that - this may also fix the problem.

I hope this is maybe of some help. I sympathize with your frustration.

Good luck!