Lost DX7 sounds

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Andyb75

Lost DX7 sounds

Post by Andyb75 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi all I'm new to the forum here's my problem
I've just bought a Yamaha DX7s from eBay and it's not working to my horror
I turned it on the display said change battery
I've done this and fitted a new battery holder as the original is welded in !
I hoped this would fix the issue but I have no sounds just makes a weird electronic kind of noise or sine wave sound and the the display comes up with mixed up Chinese and weird characters I'm guessing the internal memory has gone
I have the rom cartridge with it and tried to load it but that comes up with the same garbled up words
Also tried to reset by holding down voice 1 and 2 while powering it up I cannot get the reset display to come up
Am I doing something wrong?
What do you think I should do buy another cartridge and hope that works or would I be better off buying a usb to midi lead and trying to download the patches
Problem is I've never done this before and I've had a look on Dave bensons dx7 page and most of the patch links are either spam or not working
Any ideas

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Re: Lost DX7 sounds

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:21 pm

Andyb75 wrote:I have no sounds just makes a weird electronic kind of noise or sine wave sound and the the display comes up with mixed up Chinese and weird characters I'm guessing the internal memory has gone
Yes, that's just how it behaves when there's no patch data in the memory (at least on the DX7IID, which I have - I have no experience with the DX7s, but I suppose it behaves the same).
Andyb75 wrote:What do you think I should do buy another cartridge and hope that works
Nah, forget about the cartridges and use sysex via MIDI instead.
Andyb75 wrote:or would I be better off buying a usb to midi lead and trying to download the patches
Yes. Get a MIDI to USB adapter such as the ESI Midimate II, download sysex data (there are literally thousands available for free on the web), get MidiOx (freeware), and upload the patches via sysex. Read the 'loading patches' section on Dave Benson's page carefully. I assume the DX7s behaves similar to the DX7II, just try it. You won't damage anything if you press the wrong button.

There's plenty of patches here.

Good luck, and have fun!
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

Andyb75

Post by Andyb75 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:56 pm

Ah right ok I will that a try hopefully that will fix the issue so are you saying do away with the cartridge altogether or will the sounds be stored I to the internal memory?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:23 pm

Is this your first time using a DX-7? If so, first thing to do is read the manual! The bit about loading sounds. It's at the beginning IIRC. Here's a summary of what it says:

With the "Memory Select" button the ROM cartridge is accessed directly, you don't need to load it to internal RAM. Immediately to the right of the DATA slider, you'll see a purple button labelled "CHARACTER" and next to that two green buttons for MEMORY SELECT. It's unlikely that the ROM has been corrupted as well, in fact with that type of ROM it's pretty much impossible AFAIK. Could be dirt or damage to the cartridge slot, maybe.

So yes, the internal RAM can easily get corrupted- what you're seeing is typical behaviour with a dead battery. So check out accessing the ROM before you do anything else. Then either get back to us with what happens, or test out loading in sysex just in case there's a problem with the cartridge side of things (but I think that's unlikely, it's very solidly built).

Andyb75

Post by Andyb75 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:31 pm

Mad theory
Thanks for that no I had an old DX7 original a few years ago I never got into programming or using the rom card with that one as I only had it about a year wished I never sold it really that's the reason why I bought another
I' had read the manual just needed some clarification
When I finish work later I will get back to you and let you know what happens

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:31 pm

Andyb75 wrote:so are you saying do away with the cartridge altogether or will the sounds be stored I to the internal memory?
Let me put it that way: I don't even have any cartridges for my DX7IID, and won't buy one either. Uploading patches via sysex is easily and quickly done (plus, you can easily and neatly store and arrange then into banks on the computer), so in my opinion there's just no need for cartridges anymore today. Remember, these synths are from a pre "there-is-a-powerful-computer-in-every-household" era ;), hence the non-computer based sound storage systems.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:16 pm

If the OP has the ROM cart, it would be silly not to try it first instead of fiddling with a computer midi access he might not have at the moment. First thing first!
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

Sonus

Post by Sonus » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:39 pm

Andyb75 wrote:Also tried to reset by holding down voice 1 and 2 while powering it up I cannot get the reset display to come up

Switch DX7s on, press and hold [EDIT] [16] [32]
http://www.alexannesty.com/dx7s-diagnostics.php
http://www.alexannesty.com/dx7s-restore ... voices.php

Last edited by Sonus on Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andyb75

Post by Andyb75 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:34 pm

Hi guys
Still no joy with recovering the sounds
I've tried the diagnostic everything seems ok up to the breather function I can't test this for some reason maybe it's the wrong type of pedal I just used my sustain up to there everything was OK
I've tried to reset from alexannesty.com followed the steps and it's still not working
I'm getting this screen which doesn't look right any other ideas or am I doing something wrong ?

And this one
Last edited by Andyb75 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andyb75

Post by Andyb75 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:51 pm

Ok I figured out the breather socket it's at the front !doh I've gone through all the tests didn't say anything was wrong feeling frustrated now!

Andyb75

Post by Andyb75 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:20 pm

[quote="Andyb75"]Hi guys
Still no joy with recovering the sounds
I've tried the diagnostic everything seems ok up to the breather function I can't test this for some reason maybe it's the wrong type of pedal I just used my sustain up to there everything was OK
I've tried to reset from alexannesty.com followed the steps and it's still not working
I'm getting this screen which doesn't look right any other ideas or am I doing something wrong ?

HappyFunTimes

Post by HappyFunTimes » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:35 am

Load the cartridge sounds into internal memory. That should do away with the jumbled or japanese characters showing up in the voice names. If the sounds are still weird I would try adjusting the master tune function.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:01 pm

It appears that the DX is saying that the cartridge is unformatted? Is it actually a RAM cartridge, or is the DX7 reporting that incorrectly?

Andyb75

Post by Andyb75 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:25 pm

Mad theory
Still no luck with getting the sounds back I'vet managed to load the cartridge bank 1 but it just says the above writing on my last post no sounds or voice names
I think I'll have to hook it up to my laptop via midi and try to initialise it that way running out of ideas
Really bugging me thou
I'm hoping it's the correct ROM
Here's a picture of it Image Image

HappyFunTimes

Post by HappyFunTimes » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:57 am

Have you tried using the headphones jack instead of the main output? Did you check the master tuning?