Korg DW-8000 not working properly?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
christ___ian

Korg DW-8000 not working properly?

Post by christ___ian » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:50 am

Hey all.

I've been a lurker here for a while and after a lot of consideration, I decided to buy my first synth!I managed to find a DW 8000 and bought as quick as I could. I've had this DW 8000 for a while but there seems to be a problem with it. When I hold down the keys, no sound comes out. Only when I release the keys does the synth make sound and it kind of sustains whatever keys I released. I would really like to know what the problem is because I really like this synth and I wouldn't want it to be wasted.

Thanks in advanced!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: Korg DW-8000 not working properly?

Post by madtheory » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:21 am

Welcome to the forum! Nice synth.

The internal memory is scrambled because the battery has died. Most common fault with these. If you don't know how to solder a replacement battery holder, take it to a tech. Once the battery is replaced, the original factory patches can be re-loaded, and she's good to go.

Good DW resource here:
http://www.pallium.com/bryan/dw8000.php

To quote:
"Q: How do I know if my DW-8000 needs a new battery?
A: The primary symptom is that the DW-8000 forgets all its patches if you power it off. Also, it may make no sound or...bad sound because of memory corruption. You might see strange symbols on the LEDs (again a result of memory corruption). If you are able to successfully tape-load patches into the DW-8000, then power it off for a few minutes, power it back on, and the patches are gone, that's a sure sign of a bad battery. "

Let us know how you get on :)

christ___ian

Post by christ___ian » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:21 am

madtheory wrote: The internal memory is scrambled because the battery has died. Most common fault with these. If you don't know how to solder a replacement battery holder, take it to a tech. Once the battery is replaced, the original factory patches can be re-loaded, and she's good to go.
I appreciate the response! I didn't think it was the battery that needed to be replaced because there is no sound corruption and the patches are working fine. Then again, I am new to vintage synths. I will definitely look into it though!

JeEA

Post by JeEA » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:34 am

And it is not because You have forgotten to set decay and sustain level? :D

JeEA

Post by JeEA » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:37 am

Inverted envelope?
Just a few pointers in case the synthesizer is actually working

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:08 pm

If the sounds are ok, then it's not the battery. Does it behave the same way when triggered via MIDI? If it doesn't then at least you know it's a problem with the keyboard not the envelopes. This is a guess- open it up and see if done one has put the ribbon connector on backwards?

JeEA

Post by JeEA » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:03 pm

Good point
Send midi data to the keyboard and see if it then works