Yamaha Reface MIDI Recieve Channel setting.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Cecil Dubreque

Yamaha Reface MIDI Recieve Channel setting.

Post by Cecil Dubreque » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:12 pm

I have a newly acquired Yamaha Reface CP. Very happy with the sound and the controls of the unit however I am hitting a bit of a stumbling block when it comes to the MIDI Recieve Channel setting.

I understand you have to use a cc command to set the unit to Omni off followed by a Sysex message to tell it what MIDI channel to run in, but do you genuinely have to go through this process every time the unit powers up?

All other settings are retained through power cycles but it appears as if the MIDI Channel setting is not.

Any ideas?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Yamaha Reface MIDI Recieve Channel setting.

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:43 pm

I looked over at the yamahasynth.com resource area and according to all the information they provide, you are screwed.

The state of the MIDI settings is lost after power off. In fact Yamaha provide some SMF files that will set the Reface to a particular MIDI channel (there's 16 of them, one per channel).

They also state that if you can put the reface on it's own MIDI port...which is not even possible when sequencing from a Yamaha workstation :pissed: ...then it's not a problem. [-X

I can't believe they did something so stupid, even stupider than what Roland and Korg have been doing with their minikey junk.

Wonder why none of the reviews I've seen even mentioned this...maybe Yamaha will wise up and offer an OS update that will fix it. I would complain loudly to Yamaha customer service.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:48 pm

I found this in the reface thread over at Gearslutz, posted 2 weeks ago. Take it with a grain of salt.
I asked to the yamaha support center and just few minutes ago they say that in the next firmware update (they are working on it and the release is expected before the end of the year) it will be possible to change the midi channels, and keep this configuration event after power-off/on cycles. Also the configuration of local-mode, speakers on/off... => Great!
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Cecil Dubreque

Post by Cecil Dubreque » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:54 pm

Some interesting stuff you have found meatballfulton, thanks for your effort.

I emailed Yamaha just after I posted this thread, no reply as of yet but it will be interesting to see if they come back with the same answer as the chap suggested in that thread.

The CP actually has quite a neat system for setting some under the hood parameters by holding down a specified key on power up. These settings are indeed saved through power cycles. For example to turn off the mini speakers just hold down D2 and power the unit on; now the speakers will remain switched off until you repeat the process or factory reset. The stupid thing is there are more than enough keys not assigned to any function for all 16 channels and Omni to be set this way.

It is such a crippling oversight that could so easily have been remedied in the first place that hopefully they will see sense and actually fix it now. Even if it means I have to set it initially via CC and Sysex if it is just saved through power cycles I can make it work.

2015 and this synth has worse MIDI implementation than my Six Trak or even my JX-3P, at least you can turn Omni off on that without a computer or phone.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:23 pm

That surprises me too. This isn't 1985. Synths now do not need to boot up in Omni mode. I have no idea why they did that.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Cecil Dubreque

Post by Cecil Dubreque » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:00 pm

I got in today to find 2 replies from Yamaha Technical Services the first didn't sound good...
I understand that this is inconvenient for you in the way that you want to use the keyboard (omni off) but I think it is unlikely that this feature can be changed by firmware update

I shall make some enquiries of your behalf and get back to you when I have more information
But then I got a follow up message that was more encouraging
Have enquired about MIDI settings for Reface CP
Yamaha Europe have requested a store function to be added to later firmware
I shall get back to you with future developments
Hopefully Yamaha EU have the clout to get the engineers to take the problem seriously.

db0451

Post by db0451 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:21 am

Sounds encouraging. Do we know whether the other Refaces are susceptible to this missing feature, and if so, would you like to remind Yamaha not to limit the change to the CP? :) I assume they're on the case, but it pays to be paranoid.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:04 pm

Check the manuals....I think it's all except the DX.

Cecil Dubreque

Post by Cecil Dubreque » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:13 pm

db0451 wrote:Sounds encouraging. Do we know whether the other Refaces are susceptible to this missing feature, and if so, would you like to remind Yamaha not to limit the change to the CP? :) I assume they're on the case, but it pays to be paranoid.
Yep meatballfulton is right as far as I can tell all of the units have exactly the same MIDI issues apart from the DX. Because it has a screen you can just set the Omni and Channel Rcv like you would on an oldschool synth, not sure if the settings are saved through power cycles but at least if they aren't you could set it up easily enough on the unit itself.