Casio CZ-1 Freezing While Playing

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Casio CZ-1 Freezing While Playing

Postby rashuno » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:11 am

Hi Everyone. Great forum. Sorry if this has been solved before, I searched this forum, and many other sites, google etc. with no answer.

I pulled my CZ-1 out of storage (3 years), and plugged in, fired right up and worked without issue. Following day, I turned it on, came on fine. After about 1 minute of use, the current key I was playing froze (in that, the sound continued to play). I could not change keys, and all control buttons froze in their current state with complete loss of functionality.. (LED's stayed on if they were already lit, and those turned off stayed in their current state).

This has now become the norm for the Synth.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:?:
rashuno

Gear: CZ-1

Re: Casio CZ-1 Freezing While Playing

Postby madtheory » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:36 pm

Process of elimintation!

See if anything has gotten inside the synth that shouldn't be there! Coins, spiders, loose screws, cat pee... you never know. Has it been opened up before and put back together roughly? Could be a wire shorted, or a bad ground. Maybe someone shorted out the cartridge slot. The pins are small and easy to bend, although they are a challenge to get at. A toddler with a spoon could do it, or accidentally jamming it up against something for 3 years. See if the RAM battery has leaked- rare but not impossible.

Failing that you'll need to get out the service manual and do the standard level checks and tests therein. How's your electronics?

I would be looking at PSU first, primarily supply to digital control/ CPU stuff. Check for shorts/ dry joints in CPU area. Casios tend to be well made though, dry joints should be rare. The ICs are modern enough, with a pretty low failure rate, so I would look at caps next.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby rashuno » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:06 pm

It's never been opened before. I've never changed the ram battery either. I will check those items first..

It's weird because it will power on and is functional for about a minute, then freezes.

I'm pretty handy with electronics and schematics.. I am hoping its not something major, but if I have to replace all the caps in this thing I will.

thanks for a head start hopefully I can find out what is happening!!

Joe
rashuno

Postby madtheory » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:59 pm

Those symptoms would indicate a dry joint or a failing IC, usually. Test it with cooling spray on the suspect IC. Regulator perhaps? Don't cool that though.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.

Postby rashuno » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:58 pm

Well, I finally decided to fix my synth. I found the CPU IC's to be oxidized.
I sprayed them with electronic cleaner then re-seated the pins with a soldering iron.
This corrected the problem! Thank you madtheory for the tip.

Image Image Image
rashuno

Postby madtheory » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:34 pm

:D
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby rashuno » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:03 pm

Well, the symptoms have returned. I tried resoldering the joints on the ic and I can play until I power off. Once I turn it back on again the symptoms come back.

Maybe it's s bad IC and hearing the joints resets the bit that's sticking lol I don't know..

Are there replacement ICs for the CZ1?
rashuno

Postby madtheory » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:58 pm

Yes, you will find the names in the service manual and then you can find the data sheets IIRC.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby rashuno » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:35 am

These 2 melody IC's are getting very hot..? hot to the touch? Anyone have any experience with these ?

rashuno

Postby madtheory » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:22 pm

That's not necessarily a problem, but you could check with the freezing spray. And check components local to them.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to HELP!