EMU E4 loud pop while turning it on/off.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

EMU E4 loud pop while turning it on/off.

Post by Yekuku » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:07 am

I am having this annoying issue with my E4 sampler , there is a loud instant popping noise when I turn it on/off.
Unfortunately the front volume control is a digital encoder and has no effect on the amplitude of the spike, which means that there is no way to avoid it.
The pop is not just the usual annoying popping, it is extremely loud and I think that it can easily damage ears/headphones/speakers or other equipment connected to the E4 outputs.
Should not be some relays in there, to prevent this ?
Maybe sth is wrong with my unit? Did anybody else notice this?
It is all about sharing...

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: EMU E4 loud pop while turning it on/off.

Post by garranimal » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:11 am

This is normal for your E4. Volumes have been written about the order of powering on/off equipment but they all boil down to the same thing. For speakers, turn them ON last, turn them OFF first. Doing otherwise can be harmful to gear and humans.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:06 am

Maybe not as safe or as smart as garranimal's suggestion but going to a mixer might help too and before you turn anything off instead turn the master volume down first on it.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Yekuku

Post by Yekuku » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:01 pm

Thank you both for your input.
I am devastated to hear that this is normal for the EIV, the pop is the nastiest I have ever heard and it is extremely dangerous, I wonder why emu did not resolve this issue by installing relays on the outputs.
This was my favorite sampler for over a decade but i got tired of having to take the appropriate precautions all the time and that 's the reason I have stopped using using it years ago.
Recently I got a 4.62 EOS cpu flash ram and my love for the EIV was resurrected but that pop still hurts in my ears.
I wonder if anybody could have any luck installing relays in there .

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:10 am

I'm no electronics engineer, however in my experience with relays that I've used that have been totally un-synth related is that they'd be too slow to detect and or too abrupt to stop that kind of popping. They are basically a switch too, connect/disconnect. I could be way off the mark though cause I've pretty much only used them with auto and boat electronics, anyhow, I'd be curious if simply swapping out the power switch to some other type of switch would do the job. Say maybe simply hooking it up to a power strip and using the on/off switch on that instead might help???
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

JeEA

Post by JeEA » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:18 am

So does my EIIIxp

I turn AMP on last and off first

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:26 pm

Lots of gear does this. Even amps! The relay goes on the audio out, no? Keeps it muted until power up is done. That's fine but can cause a bunch of other problems. I've a D50 with distorted outputs due to relay failure.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:02 pm

Yekuku wrote:Thank you both for your input.
I am devastated to hear that this is normal for the EIV, the pop is the nastiest I have ever heard and it is extremely dangerous, I wonder why emu did not resolve this issue by installing relays on the outputs.
This was my favorite sampler for over a decade but i got tired of having to take the appropriate precautions all the time and that 's the reason I have stopped using using it years ago.
Recently I got a 4.62 EOS cpu flash ram and my love for the EIV was resurrected but that pop still hurts in my ears.
I wonder if anybody could have any luck installing relays in there .
The problem is that you're powering it up wrong. Look in the manual, the correct power up procedure will be outlined, ie always power up in the direction of the signal flow. It's not that hard to do it right, much easier than complaining about it online. :thumbright:

Yekuku

Post by Yekuku » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:10 pm

Zamise wrote: Say maybe simply hooking it up to a power strip and using the on/off switch on that instead might help???
Good idea, but unfortunately the same thing happens.
madtheory wrote:The relay goes on the audio out, no? Keeps it muted until power up is done.

Yup, the relays are in series with the outputs, on power on there is a time delay and on power off there is an instant shut-off.
Stab Frenzy wrote:It's not that hard to do it right, much easier than complaining about it online.
lol you are right, I was just following my doctor's advise and speaking out about my problems :)

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:24 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: The problem is that you're powering it up wrong. Look in the manual, the correct power up procedure will be outlined, ie always power up in the direction of the signal flow. It's not that hard to do it right, much easier than complaining about it online. :thumbright:
Stabbys right, you risk blowing speakers if you turn them on first and start loading the input signal with pops and crackles from machines being powered on.

Same is true for guitar amps and bass amps. Unless you have a standby switch, which you'll find on many high end tube amps and a bunch of PA's . It kills the speaker output and lets your amp warm up. That way when you're ready to go you release standby and bring volume up when you're ready to play.
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.