CS20M faders

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
psygoat

CS20M faders

Post by psygoat » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:57 am

Hi.
I am repairing a Yamaha CS20M - the release fader is broken. It is an ALPS slider marked 10kC.
I was wondering what the 'C' is - is it log, linear or another type.
I have a copy of the service manual, but unfortunately the page with the parts list on it is not there.
Does anyone know what this is?
Thanks a lot.
M

desmond

Re: CS20M faders

Post by desmond » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:57 am

There's a parts list in the CS40M manual which is broadly the same as the CS20M, but it doesn't mention what this is in there, either.

The sustain pots are "B-Type" and the release ports are "C-Type", whatever that means.

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Re: CS20M faders

Post by Yekuku » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:01 pm

C on potentiometers means anti- log (reverse logarithmic), but I have not seen a CS20 fader so I cant really say if it is anti-log or not.
Anti log faders are hard to find but you can get anti-log response by soldering a resistor across the outer lugs of a linear pot, thought its performance is dependent on the accuracy of the linear pot.

A simple test to make in order to realize if it is an anti log or not, is to put the slider on the 1/4 position of the total fader run and read the resistance. If it is aprox 2.5K then it is linear, if it is between 1-2K it is log and if it is 3-4K, it is anti-log.
It is all about sharing...